3 year wait

Hi,

Currently awaiting my autism assessment. Only been on the waiting list since October 2023. In my area it is a 3 year wait. I am 36.

Prior to my referral and it being approved,  I was keeping a list of all of my behaviours and scenarios through my life that I couldn’t quite explain and felt weren’t quite “right”. I intend to continue keeping this list and adding to it while I wait.  

Examples from my life include -

The ability to read before the age of 4 which aided in my obsession with reading, knowledge and books. Shy, quiet but academic.

Was considered weird as a child. A bit of a loner.

Nasal cautery at 6 years old due to excessive nose picking….i had caused damage in my nose which meant I had heavy nose bleeds daily just from moving or being too hot

i dont hold a pen “properly” teachers used to try to correct my grip as a child but it didn’t help

Anxiety through childhood, teenage years and as an adult

Hospitalised as doctor thought I had a pulmonary embolism, however after every check possible it was ruled to be anxiety and panic….i actually now believe this was some sort of burnout as it built up, peaked and then didn’t subside for a long time after.

Further separate panic attacks

I struggle daily with needing to know plans, the need to feel in control and emotional dysfunction. I am not good with change. 

Anyone here relate….particularly with the nasal cautery. I don’t personally know anyone else who had this done.

Parents
  • Have you considered Right to Choose? The wait in my county is three years so I went for it instead. From GP referral to diagnosis took about 5 months. As fast as my son’s diagnosis in fact, which I paid for privately. 

• Hi,

Unfortunately as I live in Wales we do not have the Right to Choose option as far as I am aware. I think I either have to just wait or pay for private which would be expensive. 

I have an appointment with a wellness officer at my surgery in a week to talk about a few things and hoping for more info. I'm finding that I am really irritable with the idea of a 3 year wait. 

• Hi,

Unfortunately as I live in Wales we do not have the Right to Choose option as far as I am aware. I think I either have to just wait or pay for private which would be expensive. 

I have an appointment with a wellness officer at my surgery in a week to talk about a few things and hoping for more info. I'm finding that I am really irritable with the idea of a 3 year wait. 

Children
No Data