EUPD and Autistic women

Hi!

So I’m a 34year old women who was first diagnosed with borderline personality disorder which now is generally called emotionally unstable personality disorder at 18 yrs old but I never felt I ‘fitted’ into that box so to speak but I did have some traits. I always felt it was my social communication that I struggled with, so I was referred to a speak therapist and then an autism referral and last week was diagnosed as having autism.  

To cut a long story short, i wanted to see if anyone else was diagnosed with EUPD before getting an autism diagnosis? And if much has changed with regards to your mental health support or medication?

Parents
  • I've heard on repeat occasion it's common for Females to be misdiagnosed with personality or emotional "disorders" when they're actually Autistic, ADHD or a combination of sort.

I used to just break down in tears all the time for lack of internal access to vocabulary and lack of an ability to call out or express what I could see. The frustration was one thing. But real hard social blocks, real rejection, real poverty issues, real stuff without access to a diagnostic and continually feeling misheard, misunderstood... it creates a REAL emotional response and an appropriate one, but also very emotional. The confusion of the world around me, plus my inability to articulate was so impactful I appeared completely unstable. Putting a bit of biological health in order was a first step. Then learning tools to begin to remove myself from toxic situations, create boundaries, a next. The Artists Way helped me learn to listen to myself a bit more. Small accessible disciplines: writing, running, things which didn't cost anything. I found a church group for a bit interested in well-being. And slowly I began to just go to the library and read. What I had known about Autism was so little it sounded the same as Downs. 

The difference with how Autistics use language, that we're potentially using a wider nuero- 'circuitry', if not just a different part of our brain, and our neural wirings aren't hyper-connected like our Neurotypical peers has an impact in Modern Society in a way it really hasn't had prior to around 1970-80. Socio-economic impact from the shifts in Western society change values, beliefs and language. if I use language as a utility function, rather than with all the added symbols and nuances, there is a problem in communicating and receiving because matters will be lost in translation. This can impact internal dialogue (which I don't have, just images and music), I have difficulty expressing my needs and understanding social rules (which I won't have received to some degree). This impacts ability to learn, education, get a job, and such. Humans aren't a good fit for continual rejection or isolation, so someone in this situation will have little to no grounding, be completely unstable, and emotions are a 'felt' response or 'expression' of core understanding + real or perceived impact. I say perceived because how many times have I been misinterpreted and the others emotional response was offence? 

To top all this off, I didn't realise I couldn't identify my emotions properly until I landed in a therapists office around 30 for a few sessions. But it would take another 10 years to learn how that impacted and affected me. 

I can honestly say now nearly 50, the more I've learned about how society operates, or certain unspoken expectations, how to be in and invest in a friendship, how to have something to give or express my genuine feelings for others, the less rejection I've experienced. And that means a little less unknown frustration, a little more ability to navigate, make informed choices, how to learn and grow, which helps with personal integration of the self. I don't cry that much any more! I can't believe how much of it was wrapped up in frustration... 

Your journey will be different. Maybe something here resonates, but thought it could be worth sharing. 

• I've heard on repeat occasion it's common for Females to be misdiagnosed with personality or emotional "disorders" when they're actually Autistic, ADHD or a combination of sort.

I used to just break down in tears all the time for lack of internal access to vocabulary and lack of an ability to call out or express what I could see. The frustration was one thing. But real hard social blocks, real rejection, real poverty issues, real stuff without access to a diagnostic and continually feeling misheard, misunderstood... it creates a REAL emotional response and an appropriate one, but also very emotional. The confusion of the world around me, plus my inability to articulate was so impactful I appeared completely unstable. Putting a bit of biological health in order was a first step. Then learning tools to begin to remove myself from toxic situations, create boundaries, a next. The Artists Way helped me learn to listen to myself a bit more. Small accessible disciplines: writing, running, things which didn't cost anything. I found a church group for a bit interested in well-being. And slowly I began to just go to the library and read. What I had known about Autism was so little it sounded the same as Downs. 

The difference with how Autistics use language, that we're potentially using a wider nuero- 'circuitry', if not just a different part of our brain, and our neural wirings aren't hyper-connected like our Neurotypical peers has an impact in Modern Society in a way it really hasn't had prior to around 1970-80. Socio-economic impact from the shifts in Western society change values, beliefs and language. if I use language as a utility function, rather than with all the added symbols and nuances, there is a problem in communicating and receiving because matters will be lost in translation. This can impact internal dialogue (which I don't have, just images and music), I have difficulty expressing my needs and understanding social rules (which I won't have received to some degree). This impacts ability to learn, education, get a job, and such. Humans aren't a good fit for continual rejection or isolation, so someone in this situation will have little to no grounding, be completely unstable, and emotions are a 'felt' response or 'expression' of core understanding + real or perceived impact. I say perceived because how many times have I been misinterpreted and the others emotional response was offence? 

To top all this off, I didn't realise I couldn't identify my emotions properly until I landed in a therapists office around 30 for a few sessions. But it would take another 10 years to learn how that impacted and affected me. 

I can honestly say now nearly 50, the more I've learned about how society operates, or certain unspoken expectations, how to be in and invest in a friendship, how to have something to give or express my genuine feelings for others, the less rejection I've experienced. And that means a little less unknown frustration, a little more ability to navigate, make informed choices, how to learn and grow, which helps with personal integration of the self. I don't cry that much any more! I can't believe how much of it was wrapped up in frustration... 

Your journey will be different. Maybe something here resonates, but thought it could be worth sharing. 

Children
  • I used to just break down in tears all the time for lack of internal access to vocabulary and lack of an ability to call out or express what I could see. The frustration was one thing. But real hard social blocks, real rejection, real poverty issues, real stuff without access to a diagnostic and continually feeling misheard, misunderstood... it creates a REAL emotional response and an appropriate one, but also very emotional. The confusion of the world around me, plus my inability to articulate was so impactful I appeared completely unstable.

What you said really resonates with me, I couldn’t explain how I felt and often feel frustrated that people don’t understand me which then resulted in ‘meltdowns’ in my case verbal outbursts but thDisappointed was seen as I was mentally unstable and uncooperative Disappointed