Dog to help with anxiety and confidence

My nearly 6 year old high functioning lovely son suffers with anxiety and lack of confidence.  We think a family dog coud really help.  We understand that the opportunity to get an assistance dog is extremely slim and we are not even trying to go down that road.  We have contacted a dog trainer who will assist when we find the right dog and we are prepared to find and pay for a dog ourselves.  The issue is that I like recue dogs as I think that breeding dogs is often irresponsible and no more than an opportunity to make cash.  However, we need the right dog.  Calm, gentle, willing to play and be trained.  Ideally we need a young dog.  We have started looking around the rescue centres where we live in Merseyside but we can't go on a waiting list so it's about touching lucky.  Any advice or shared experiences would be much appreciated.  Thanks, Tracy

Parents
  • I was just idly looking around the NAS SITE in general, and I spotted this "new" "thread"...

1- If you're really truly serious about ANIMALS (DOGS), then jolly well go out buy a book or search the Internet elsewhere, concerning APPROPRIATE BREEDS OF DOG, instead of having to ask such questions on a website dealing with HUMANS. Then you would already know which animals (dogs) have which the correct "temperament" you are asking for. The kinds of dog most commonly used for "assistance" should give you the best clues.

2- Your words do not make it clear if you are buying a "rescue" dog from a "Rescue Centre"... or if you are buying a dog to "rescue" your child: "Rescue centre" means that the dog has been rescued from an abusive environment, and so is already upset and stressed, and so for any inexperienced person you should not be buying such an animal. Try and locate another reputable breeder, or just go to any other reputable shelter/centre (DogsTrust, BlueCross, BatterseaDogsCatsHome, etc.), and purchase a puppy/half-grown dog.
    Even if you have someone helping you, if the dog has been abused, then they will act like a human that has been abused, and you cannot always understand why... but dogs have sharper teeth, you know.

3- You say that you "have contacted a dog trainer"... Is it not strange that this person is not advising you concerning all that you ask, instead of you having to ask it here?

4- ...Lastly. Please do not tell me off if I have seemed to be rude at you. Seeming rude seems to be a seemed part of being Autistic, seemingly. I am also Autistic and I would LOVE any kind of FRIEND - animal or otherwise, but I am not allowed true happiness in my life, and so your child is darned lucky that you are even thinking about gaining a pet for them. I also know about the fact that you have to satisfy certain conditions and then pay huge amounts of money for an "official assistance dog", as opposed to any "unofficial" means of obtaining dogs for free... but how to purchase dogs is a discussion for websites not primarily concerned with human Autism, surely...

5- I can't believe you're still reading. Recommending certain breeds and dog training techniques... is something I shall leave for other people and websites to argue over. さよなら.

• This is the bit that touched me the most about your reply:

Disallowed Cynosure said:
    I am also Autistic and I would LOVE any kind of FRIEND

Reply Children
  • I am not certain which "reply" shows up upon whose machines or where and how and why... and so I "reply" to the "reply" which is apparently direct to ME.

Thank you so very much, AD (!), for writing this and for defending me as well --- I truly mean that. But I don't want to continue upon this page (...), although I *am* interested in seeing if "threads/subjects" within other related "threads/subjects" are "permitted" or not. Yet most of all, I try to keep this "reply-to-a-reply" short, HERE. If you or anyone are having trouble finding the new "area/thread/forum" I have started, then this is (currently) the title:

AUTISTIC PEOPLE ON THE (N.A.S.) INTERNET, AND "HOW-TO" USE IT.

If anyone reading can at least find the "search box" on their machine/device, then enter that or "keywords" or combinations of that title and you shall (in theory) find it.

Concerning this "Puppy for a Child" area here, stay here, please. Concerning <> "(how) Autistic persons want a friend (or puppy/cat/other-animal) or lack thereof..."... that may well warrant a whole NEW "thread/forum", but I would not know. Nonetheless, you are welcome, and/or to continue this "replied-to" subject, at least at the "thread/forum" I state, there.

Lastly, if I appear to have accidentally posted anything twice, I apologise, but I don't dare get rid of either, since this might accidentally get rid of BOTH. Errors and mistakes like this are discussed on the other thread I started and mentioned here.