Dog to help with anxiety and confidence

My nearly 6 year old high functioning lovely son suffers with anxiety and lack of confidence.  We think a family dog coud really help.  We understand that the opportunity to get an assistance dog is extremely slim and we are not even trying to go down that road.  We have contacted a dog trainer who will assist when we find the right dog and we are prepared to find and pay for a dog ourselves.  The issue is that I like recue dogs as I think that breeding dogs is often irresponsible and no more than an opportunity to make cash.  However, we need the right dog.  Calm, gentle, willing to play and be trained.  Ideally we need a young dog.  We have started looking around the rescue centres where we live in Merseyside but we can't go on a waiting list so it's about touching lucky.  Any advice or shared experiences would be much appreciated.  Thanks, Tracy

Parents
  • Nas24833, "Tracey", Nas24879... All of this is hard to follow as well. But yes it is me again. In less than the course of a single DAY, I get all of this "hate" and only a little bit of understanding: and I say a great big "Thank You" to that person, " To NAS24896."
    ... So in perhaps futile attempt to redeem anything, I noticed someone saying that this "thread" is "back on track" and that is GOOD. I have started a separate "thread" concerning "INTERNET", "protocols", "misunderstanding", & "Autistic people on the Internet"... and so please go off and see that instead (in discussing "me", maybe).

This "thread" was about "dogs" "autistic child" and so in discussing THAT, please stay here as you please. My own problem was in violating manners and protocols which, honestly, I am starting to learn with rather harsh lessons inflicted here...

There is a new confusion again for me:
    Tracey/ Nas24833, said: "I will get my little boy a dog and do all I can to support her."
    This suggests to me that the boy has either changed gender, or that they have ALREADY picked out a dog...meaning that the very next day, the request for advice about breeds, temperament, and rescue shelters was somewhat moot/redundant. And then lines along "Already researched" were stated the NEXT day and not at first.. and I could not know that from in the first place 'seeking "advice"'. Any next posts should then be about handling an already purchased dog, then?
    Someone also said that I was "shouty", which I also could not know was bad in "forums": I say again that for "Internet protocol"/"chat" please say this at my new "thread"... and for dogs and children please stay here or similar. おはようございます.

Lastly, I was given BOTH a warning and a "Discussion Starter Achievement" statement from NAS today. So confusing... (discuss on other forum, please.)

• I'd file the gender thing under 'typo' as that seems the most likely, don't you think? Especially when everybody got a bit heated and nothing else suggests otherwise. Not too keen on that black and white gender thing anyway, there's probably a bit of a girl in every boy and the other way round.

• I'd file the gender thing under 'typo' as that seems the most likely, don't you think? Especially when everybody got a bit heated and nothing else suggests otherwise. Not too keen on that black and white gender thing anyway, there's probably a bit of a girl in every boy and the other way round.

Children
No Data