Does autism get worse over time ?

Hi , my five year old daughter was recently diagnosed with autism , her speech is very delayed and she has many sensory and social issues ,it seems that my daughter is displaying more behavioral issues and (ticks) everyday !! Is this commen at all ? She won't sleep till past 1am and seems to never be tired she has trouble falling to sleep and will keep going until her body physically is drained only then will she drop off.

I haven't had any support since her being diagnosed so would be grateful on any tips on the following issues , sleeping , toileting and also trips to public places, she generally will have a melt down and lie on the pavement and not move for ages when we are out( she does also have  hypermobility syndrome which causes pain's in feet and difficulties walking)  , wind and rain seems to be a big problem for her also, she's also been screaming and hand flapping a lot lately.

When your children was first diagnosed where did you seek support and what helped you?

Thanks in advance.

Parents
  • Hello,

Firstly well done for being proactive and seeking help for your daughter!

Sadly there doesn't seem to be much support from the health service after diagnosis.  I would suggest looking for your local support groups.  In Hertfordshire we have SPACE who have been brilliant in supporting us.  Your school nurse should also be able to help you with toileting etc.

I would say for my boys its not that their ASD gets worse over time but more that it changes depending on their anxieties and what is happening etc.  or instance they struggle more at transition times, christmas and birthdays etc.  I also feel it becomes more noticeable as they get older.  My boys also have MLD so I see the gap between them and their peers widening.

• Hello,

Firstly well done for being proactive and seeking help for your daughter!

Sadly there doesn't seem to be much support from the health service after diagnosis.  I would suggest looking for your local support groups.  In Hertfordshire we have SPACE who have been brilliant in supporting us.  Your school nurse should also be able to help you with toileting etc.

I would say for my boys its not that their ASD gets worse over time but more that it changes depending on their anxieties and what is happening etc.  or instance they struggle more at transition times, christmas and birthdays etc.  I also feel it becomes more noticeable as they get older.  My boys also have MLD so I see the gap between them and their peers widening.

Children
No Data