Being alone at home

Hi i hope i've posted in the right place,its my first time posting.I'm a parent (not on the spectrum) my son is on the spectrum.Hes 16 now and although i'm fairly comfortable leaving him home alone if hes awake.I'm not at all comfortable leaving him home alone when hes fast asleep,usually due to him being awake half the night watching reruns of his favourite tv shows or being online.How do others cope with this ? Any help would be really appreciated Thank You 

Parents
  • I'm going to give you an observation from our most recent visit from SD16.

If we leave her a list of tasks including personal care and set a reasonable alarm clock time (e.g. Noon), things get done all be it grumbling and complaining that she's on holiday.

If we don't leave a list, nothing happens. Not even personal hygiene, getting dressed. She will eat food but will graze rather than make meal choices.

So you decide what you expect done. You make sure you have taught the skills. SD16 knows that she loses Internet privelages if she's not doing what we expect.

It's damn hard, her mother induces dependence, we push independence. But while she's under our care we are preparing her for life.

• I'm going to give you an observation from our most recent visit from SD16.

If we leave her a list of tasks including personal care and set a reasonable alarm clock time (e.g. Noon), things get done all be it grumbling and complaining that she's on holiday.

If we don't leave a list, nothing happens. Not even personal hygiene, getting dressed. She will eat food but will graze rather than make meal choices.

So you decide what you expect done. You make sure you have taught the skills. SD16 knows that she loses Internet privelages if she's not doing what we expect.

It's damn hard, her mother induces dependence, we push independence. But while she's under our care we are preparing her for life.

Children
No Data