Being alone at home

Hi i hope i've posted in the right place,its my first time posting.I'm a parent (not on the spectrum) my son is on the spectrum.Hes 16 now and although i'm fairly comfortable leaving him home alone if hes awake.I'm not at all comfortable leaving him home alone when hes fast asleep,usually due to him being awake half the night watching reruns of his favourite tv shows or being online.How do others cope with this ? Any help would be really appreciated Thank You 

Parents
  • Hi there.  Welcome to the forum.

I suppose the main question that jumps out at me from this is... How is this either a legal or a moral issue?  I can see both if you perceive that he's at risk in some way - and being awake for long hours could pose a risk.  But how would you know one way or the other what he's doing?  When I was his age, I was alone a lot and spent much of that 'alone' time reading horror and detective fiction.  They were my passion.  Even when someone else was at home, though, I'd mostly be up in my room alone doing my own thing.  Reading, writing, playing snooker on a tiny table I had.  I even played board games on my own, taking 'everyone's' turn myself (Cluedo was not best suited to that!)  Often, I'd be doing these things into the early hours, long after my parents were asleep.

You say your son is on the spectrum, and I'm guessing that he's high-functioning/Asperger's.  Does he do things that really do pose a risk - and I mean a risk to life?  As a much younger child, I used to set fire to my toys a lot.  I almost caused a serious fire once by lighting a firework in my bedroom.  A lot of these are things that many kids do, though.  At 16, he's probably beyond that stage - unless, of course, his condition affects him in a way that he really doesn't understand risks.  In which case, yes... you have a point.  But based on the information you've given, it doesn't sound like that level of risk is involved.

Best regards,

Tom

• Hi there.  Welcome to the forum.

I suppose the main question that jumps out at me from this is... How is this either a legal or a moral issue?  I can see both if you perceive that he's at risk in some way - and being awake for long hours could pose a risk.  But how would you know one way or the other what he's doing?  When I was his age, I was alone a lot and spent much of that 'alone' time reading horror and detective fiction.  They were my passion.  Even when someone else was at home, though, I'd mostly be up in my room alone doing my own thing.  Reading, writing, playing snooker on a tiny table I had.  I even played board games on my own, taking 'everyone's' turn myself (Cluedo was not best suited to that!)  Often, I'd be doing these things into the early hours, long after my parents were asleep.

You say your son is on the spectrum, and I'm guessing that he's high-functioning/Asperger's.  Does he do things that really do pose a risk - and I mean a risk to life?  As a much younger child, I used to set fire to my toys a lot.  I almost caused a serious fire once by lighting a firework in my bedroom.  A lot of these are things that many kids do, though.  At 16, he's probably beyond that stage - unless, of course, his condition affects him in a way that he really doesn't understand risks.  In which case, yes... you have a point.  But based on the information you've given, it doesn't sound like that level of risk is involved.

Best regards,

Tom

Children