Noisy boiler bad for autism?

Hello, my son is 2 and has recently been diagnosed with ASD, I'm still learning what that means and what his individual traits are. I'm hoping someone can offer me advice. My son's bedroom contains a very noisy old boiler and I have been wondering if the noise is a problem for him, more than it would be for a non-autistic child. He has been sleeping in that room for over a year so it's not a new noise, I think it does wake him at times and I wonder if it makes getting to sleep harder. Falling asleep usually takes my son hours and recently (for a few months) he has taken to sleeping on the floor. We put him back in bed several times a night but shortly after he moves himself to the floor again (with his pillow and duvet). 

I have wondered if he lays on the floor because he likes the feeling of the vibrations of the boiler. But it could just be the feeling of the carpet he likes. My son has communication problems so he can't tell me if the boiler noise is a problem or if he finds it a comfort. 

Im looking for people's thoughts on whether I should swap bedrooms to move him away from the noise or try to put in some sort of sound proofing. 

I'm new here and I'm reasonably new to autism so please forgive my ignorance.

Parents Reply Children
No Data