Should I apply for an EHCP

Hi 

im wondering if anyone can help me or point me in the right direction please,

our daughter has been diagnosed with autism, OCD and chronic tic disorder 

at school she is apparently hitting the national average and therefore school

state there is no evidence to support an application at present for an EHCP.

she suffers severely at school and great that she is making the grade however it's the other areas she is struggling in i.e social communication etc so because she is making the grades does this mean we would t stand a chance if we applied for an EHCP.

kind regards

Parents
  • "Evidence of Un Met Needs" - This is a list of behaviour that your child is using to communicate that something is wrong. I gathered info from comments made by school staff and things I had observed myself.

When I asked the teacher how things were going? She said he was fine. But when the paediatrician asked her to complete a form, much more useful information was provided: 
    - he fidgeted often in class and particularly at carpet time. He needed Blu Tac or similar to help him focus
    - he was uncooperative in class - particularly refusing to do written work or participate in group work
    - was only interested in specific children and it was as though the others didn't exist
    - was often "off task"
    - Required lots of repetition of instructions 
    - sometimes completely "phased out" of lessons when not on subjects of interest 
    - reliant on an adult to start work
    I was able to quote from this report after getting hold of a copy, but you could ask the teacher leading questions (based on above) to see what they say - my query was too general .... Also consider asking the teacher, TA or other staff separately to get different points of view.
    Other typical school signs might be shouting out or hitting pupils/staff; questioning or correcting the teacher; alone at lunch/break times, not coping with noisy/smelly lunch or assembly halls; standing too close to people, taking school rules literally even if told they don't apply, running away or hiding; panic attacks, anxiety, etc etc
    Signs we noticed at home - losing weight/interest in food; making by holes in his school uniform. Saying he hated school and didn't want to go back..... Generally being in a low mood with less tolerance than usual to everyday frustration; awful verbal perseveration!!!
    Things the teacher told us on an ad-hoc basis spread out over the yearthat I later realised was useful evidence: he scribbled on furniture and carpets; hid under a table, said swear words at inappropriate times; deputy head said that "he was at risk of not meeting his academic potential". Luckily I had kept a notebook with notes of meetings and discussions so I typed up selected notes with dates - eh voila! Another source of evidence - more formal than my say-so but exactly the same! 
    The school SALT had done observations. I spoke with her on the phone and took detailed notes and typed those up too. She had some terrible quotes - depressing - but just what we needed to make a case for support.
    I think this was the hardest bit really. Writing down all the tough things and not talking about strengths. But it is essential. I wonder if some parents de-rail their own EHCP applications by not being able to do this bit
    I found verbal comments were often much more useful than the formal reports... so even if you don't have much evidence in report form now, arranging quick meetings/phone calls and typing up notes would be a quick way of getting a pile of evidence together!
  • "Evidence of Un Met Needs" - This is a list of behaviour that your child is using to communicate that something is wrong. I gathered info from comments made by school staff and things I had observed myself.

When I asked the teacher how things were going? She said he was fine. But when the paediatrician asked her to complete a form, much more useful information was provided: 
    - he fidgeted often in class and particularly at carpet time. He needed Blu Tac or similar to help him focus
    - he was uncooperative in class - particularly refusing to do written work or participate in group work
    - was only interested in specific children and it was as though the others didn't exist
    - was often "off task"
    - Required lots of repetition of instructions 
    - sometimes completely "phased out" of lessons when not on subjects of interest 
    - reliant on an adult to start work
    I was able to quote from this report after getting hold of a copy, but you could ask the teacher leading questions (based on above) to see what they say - my query was too general .... Also consider asking the teacher, TA or other staff separately to get different points of view.
    Other typical school signs might be shouting out or hitting pupils/staff; questioning or correcting the teacher; alone at lunch/break times, not coping with noisy/smelly lunch or assembly halls; standing too close to people, taking school rules literally even if told they don't apply, running away or hiding; panic attacks, anxiety, etc etc
    Signs we noticed at home - losing weight/interest in food; making by holes in his school uniform. Saying he hated school and didn't want to go back..... Generally being in a low mood with less tolerance than usual to everyday frustration; awful verbal perseveration!!!
    Things the teacher told us on an ad-hoc basis spread out over the yearthat I later realised was useful evidence: he scribbled on furniture and carpets; hid under a table, said swear words at inappropriate times; deputy head said that "he was at risk of not meeting his academic potential". Luckily I had kept a notebook with notes of meetings and discussions so I typed up selected notes with dates - eh voila! Another source of evidence - more formal than my say-so but exactly the same! 
    The school SALT had done observations. I spoke with her on the phone and took detailed notes and typed those up too. She had some terrible quotes - depressing - but just what we needed to make a case for support.
    I think this was the hardest bit really. Writing down all the tough things and not talking about strengths. But it is essential. I wonder if some parents de-rail their own EHCP applications by not being able to do this bit
    I found verbal comments were often much more useful than the formal reports... so even if you don't have much evidence in report form now, arranging quick meetings/phone calls and typing up notes would be a quick way of getting a pile of evidence together!
Children
No Data