Should I apply for an EHCP

Hi 

im wondering if anyone can help me or point me in the right direction please,

our daughter has been diagnosed with autism, OCD and chronic tic disorder 

at school she is apparently hitting the national average and therefore school

state there is no evidence to support an application at present for an EHCP.

she suffers severely at school and great that she is making the grade however it's the other areas she is struggling in i.e social communication etc so because she is making the grades does this mean we would t stand a chance if we applied for an EHCP.

kind regards

Parents
  • My son is 7 and when he agrees to cooperate in class he is working above national average. His need isn't academic - it's social & emotional. So without an EHCP we get little or no help and he gets disciplined in class rather than getting support for his Specific Learning Difficulty (written expression / dysgraphia). Social skills support is non existent. As a result I can see that he will be left to cope - and that's why eventually he'll develop the mental health difficulties and anxieties that other HFA kids get. The lack of joined up thinking is enraging! 

Anyway I've heard so many people say that they've been told that their kids are too able, so they don't apply. But of course if people don't apply the LAs can say that there is no demand for help, so there is no help when people ask, so people are told not to ask..... you get the picture!

So I've decided to apply. I'm planning to press for an EHC assessment and as ASD is an SEN we are entitled to an assessment in law. I will list out his difficulties against the 4 "areas of need" listed in the SEN Code of Practice. Then I plan to list out all the behaviours covered in school reports/meeting notes which indicate stress. I plan to say he is not coping at school and being at high risk of mental health problems He deserves to be assessed. We will probably be refused and will have to appeal/chase/complain every step of the way. 

It's not ok that kids like ours are left to deteriorate. Apart from anything it makes no financial sense.
  • My son is 7 and when he agrees to cooperate in class he is working above national average. His need isn't academic - it's social & emotional. So without an EHCP we get little or no help and he gets disciplined in class rather than getting support for his Specific Learning Difficulty (written expression / dysgraphia). Social skills support is non existent. As a result I can see that he will be left to cope - and that's why eventually he'll develop the mental health difficulties and anxieties that other HFA kids get. The lack of joined up thinking is enraging! 

Anyway I've heard so many people say that they've been told that their kids are too able, so they don't apply. But of course if people don't apply the LAs can say that there is no demand for help, so there is no help when people ask, so people are told not to ask..... you get the picture!

So I've decided to apply. I'm planning to press for an EHC assessment and as ASD is an SEN we are entitled to an assessment in law. I will list out his difficulties against the 4 "areas of need" listed in the SEN Code of Practice. Then I plan to list out all the behaviours covered in school reports/meeting notes which indicate stress. I plan to say he is not coping at school and being at high risk of mental health problems He deserves to be assessed. We will probably be refused and will have to appeal/chase/complain every step of the way. 

It's not ok that kids like ours are left to deteriorate. Apart from anything it makes no financial sense.
Children
No Data