Should I apply for an EHCP

Hi 

im wondering if anyone can help me or point me in the right direction please,

our daughter has been diagnosed with autism, OCD and chronic tic disorder 

at school she is apparently hitting the national average and therefore school

state there is no evidence to support an application at present for an EHCP.

she suffers severely at school and great that she is making the grade however it's the other areas she is struggling in i.e social communication etc so because she is making the grades does this mean we would t stand a chance if we applied for an EHCP.

kind regards

Parents
  • Hi Brooke1, I can't really offer advice but am going through something similar.  My adopted son, recently diagnosed with ASD is 13 and would have just started year 9 but I withdrew him from school in July due to his emotional fragility about being bullied at school (he was even upset about the teacher/TA shouting at him); he came home saying he had nothing to live for which was the final straw.

Unlike your dd my ds has a lot of problems stemming back to neglect with bp's and other traumatic events in the past that have left him mentally scarred. He was only this year finally diagnosed as ASD and I'm trying to get him in to a special school that has many ASD pupils but the class sizes are all about 8 pupils and they are fully understanding of ASD (and other condition) problems.

Our educational psychologise told me that in his opinion my ds wouldn't get an EHCP but July made me determined to at least try and so I painstakingly completed the lengthy document asking for an assessment to be carried out.  I chased it up last week and was told that his case would be discussed at the 'panel' which will take place this week, some time. So, I will hear something (I live in hope) very soon, one way or another.

Our children are all different but if I can give you just a tiny bit of encouragement to at least try then it will have been worth posting a reply to you.

I don't know whether the outcome will be positive or negative but if you want, I will keep you posted.

Yonyon.

• Hi Brooke1, I can't really offer advice but am going through something similar.  My adopted son, recently diagnosed with ASD is 13 and would have just started year 9 but I withdrew him from school in July due to his emotional fragility about being bullied at school (he was even upset about the teacher/TA shouting at him); he came home saying he had nothing to live for which was the final straw.

Unlike your dd my ds has a lot of problems stemming back to neglect with bp's and other traumatic events in the past that have left him mentally scarred. He was only this year finally diagnosed as ASD and I'm trying to get him in to a special school that has many ASD pupils but the class sizes are all about 8 pupils and they are fully understanding of ASD (and other condition) problems.

Our educational psychologise told me that in his opinion my ds wouldn't get an EHCP but July made me determined to at least try and so I painstakingly completed the lengthy document asking for an assessment to be carried out.  I chased it up last week and was told that his case would be discussed at the 'panel' which will take place this week, some time. So, I will hear something (I live in hope) very soon, one way or another.

Our children are all different but if I can give you just a tiny bit of encouragement to at least try then it will have been worth posting a reply to you.

I don't know whether the outcome will be positive or negative but if you want, I will keep you posted.

Yonyon.

Children
No Data