Antibiotics increasing awareness

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else has expereinced an easing of autisitc symptoms / behaviour when your child is on antiobiotics. Our son is currently on penicillium for a throat infection and in the last few days has been speaking a lot more and is a lot more energetic.

I found a few articles on the internet of parents who had similair experiences with using antiobiotics, but it does not seem to be a common approach (I guess as cant keep giving a child antiobiotics). Hence I have every reason to believe its a a barmy theory.

Our son is under assessment and has yet to be diagnoised ASD, so we dont know if this improvement is due to general development (which we really hope) or the fact he is taking the medicine. His language skills had been improving steadily before, but it got a lot faster this week.

It would be good to hear from anyone with any comparable expereinces or thoughts.

thanks

Parents
  • I've not come across this, I've probably seen the opposite to be fair in people I've observed taking antibiotics who also have autism traits, but then they also regularly take omeprozol due to numerous stomach related issues.

Have you considered that it may be the placebo effect?  If someone feels they're getting medication to help them get better - in the short term it can have quite a profound effect on underlying anxiety and stress levels, as every time they take the tablet they associate it with getting better.  Logic would suggest it would have lesser effect on adults who know what the tablet actually is - rather than a child who would see it purely as medicine.  When my son started on his medication, the doctor told us not to expect any results for 2-3 weeks as it takes that long for the build up in the system to start working.  We saw an instant improvement though - which I can only explain as placebo  (especially as the medication side effects only started to appear a week or so later).

• I've not come across this, I've probably seen the opposite to be fair in people I've observed taking antibiotics who also have autism traits, but then they also regularly take omeprozol due to numerous stomach related issues.

Have you considered that it may be the placebo effect?  If someone feels they're getting medication to help them get better - in the short term it can have quite a profound effect on underlying anxiety and stress levels, as every time they take the tablet they associate it with getting better.  Logic would suggest it would have lesser effect on adults who know what the tablet actually is - rather than a child who would see it purely as medicine.  When my son started on his medication, the doctor told us not to expect any results for 2-3 weeks as it takes that long for the build up in the system to start working.  We saw an instant improvement though - which I can only explain as placebo  (especially as the medication side effects only started to appear a week or so later).

Children
No Data