Don’t know what to do!

I’m hoping someone can help me. I am completely new to ASD my son got diagnosed in June 2024 and although the assessment was going through for 18 months I didn’t want to label him as everyone including teachers and support workers were just telling me it was anxiety. But I’m happy we got a diagnosis because now I can start properly advocating for him and helping him understand himself. He’s 11 years old and just started year 6, in 4 weeks he has attended 2 1/2 days, we have moved house and I believe in me gaining a better understanding he is releasing everything he’s been holding in since realising he feels different. He’s opening up so much to me which is fantastic and I’m so happy I can be that person for him, but I don’t know what to do about school? He has hated it since year 3, he’s pushed through so many times but because of not knowing exactly what was going on, ways to help the issue weren’t the best idea (much to my own trauma as well as his) so I believe he has lost his trust in the school, he keeps saying he’s looking forward to secondary school but won’t go into his current school, they are being very supportive and offering everything and anything to get him in. My fear is, school isn’t for him, no matter what changes can be put in place to help him, it’s all just too much, I’ve been fighting with home schooling for months, is it the right decision, will he miss out socially, but the main problem is I can’t home school him, I work full time and I’m not in a position not too. Does anyone have any advice on how to go about home schooling when it’s not the parent doing it. I have no idea where to start, my son doesn’t have an EHCP so I know I won’t get any help but I don’t know how much schooling he needs, do I need an ASD tutor and do they have to come everyday, twice a week, once a week? Sorry for rambling but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated I’m honestly at such a loss….

• Dear NAS96151,

Please visit our online advice and guidance which explains more about getting extra help in school, assessments, education plans, reviews and school transport for England: www.autism.org.uk/.../extra-help-at-school  

In addition, you may find the following NAS resources useful: 

If you require further support, you may like to contact the following regional organisations:  

• Every local area has a Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Advice and Support Service that can provide information, advice and support to parents and carers of children and young people with SEND, including on exclusions:  www.kids.org.uk/sendiass  
    • Independent Provider of Special Education Advice is a registered charity that offers free and independent information, advice and support to help get the right education for children and young people with all kinds of SEND: www.ipsea.org.uk/   
    •  Coram’s Child Law Advice service can be accessed through their website or contacted on 0300 330 5485 from Monday to Friday, 8am – 6pm: childlawadvice.org.uk/.../  
    • SOS!SEN offers a free, term-time, national helpline, staffed by a team of volunteers, to provide next step advice and support on questions and issues parents may have relating to their child’s SEN provision: https://sossen.org.uk/services/helpline/ Their helpline number is 0208 538 3731 

I hope this is helpful. 

Kind Regards,

Rosie Mod

• I’m hoping someone can help me. I am completely new to ASD my son got diagnosed in June 2024 and although the assessment was going through for 18 months I didn’t want to label him as everyone including teachers and support workers were just telling me it was anxiety. But I’m happy we got a diagnosis because now I can start properly advocating for him and helping him understand himself. He’s 11 years old and just started year 6, in 4 weeks he has attended 2 1/2 days, we have moved house and I believe in me gaining a better understanding he is releasing everything he’s been holding in since realising he feels different. He’s opening up so much to me which is fantastic and I’m so happy I can be that person for him, but I don’t know what to do about school? He has hated it since year 3, he’s pushed through so many times but because of not knowing exactly what was going on, ways to help the issue weren’t the best idea (much to my own trauma as well as his) so I believe he has lost his trust in the school, he keeps saying he’s looking forward to secondary school but won’t go into his current school, they are being very supportive and offering everything and anything to get him in. My fear is, school isn’t for him, no matter what changes can be put in place to help him, it’s all just too much, I’ve been fighting with home schooling for months, is it the right decision, will he miss out socially, but the main problem is I can’t home school him, I work full time and I’m not in a position not too. Does anyone have any advice on how to go about home schooling when it’s not the parent doing it. I have no idea where to start, my son doesn’t have an EHCP so I know I won’t get any help but I don’t know how much schooling he needs, do I need an ASD tutor and do they have to come everyday, twice a week, once a week? Sorry for rambling but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated I’m honestly at such a loss….

It sounds like you’re going through a significant transition, both for yourself and your son. Navigating education for a child with autism can be challenging, especially when considering options like homeschooling.