What am I suppose to do in this situation

My 6 year old son is so angry he goes from 0 to 100 in seconds.  It was the first day of school today and while all the other parents are posting lovely photos.  I didn't get one because he was grumpy.  He spend 30 mins screaming at me and hitting me because he deciddced he didn't want what he had asked for for breakfast.  Meanwhile my 8 year old who is diagnosed autistic struggled with the noise and went to school upset. 

My 6 year old is being referred to cahms for a diagnosis but what are we meant to do int he meantime - iv come home - meant to start work and I just want to cry! 

Parents
  • Hi and welcome to the community!

It's sorry to hear of your sons' difficulties and how you're feeling. Unfortunately, anxiety is often a problem for us as autistic people, during both childhood and adulthood.

It might be worth talking to your GP again to request a referral for interim mental health support and advice for your 6 year old son, pending his assessment. 

It sounds as though his anxiety might have been made worse by the prospect of the first day at school. The articles here offer advice to help specifically with transition issues like this:

Transitions > choose your area of the UK from the menu page > choose "Starting or switching school".

You might also find some of these resources helpful:

NAS - Anxiety

NHS - Anxiety in children

For example, the above link includes details of a free parent helpline, where parents can get help and advice about children's mental health: 0808 802 5544 - Monday to Friday - 9.30am to 4pm.

• Hi and welcome to the community!

It's sorry to hear of your sons' difficulties and how you're feeling. Unfortunately, anxiety is often a problem for us as autistic people, during both childhood and adulthood.

It might be worth talking to your GP again to request a referral for interim mental health support and advice for your 6 year old son, pending his assessment. 

It sounds as though his anxiety might have been made worse by the prospect of the first day at school. The articles here offer advice to help specifically with transition issues like this:

Transitions > choose your area of the UK from the menu page > choose "Starting or switching school".

You might also find some of these resources helpful:

NAS - Anxiety

NHS - Anxiety in children

For example, the above link includes details of a free parent helpline, where parents can get help and advice about children's mental health: 0808 802 5544 - Monday to Friday - 9.30am to 4pm.

Children
No Data