My 24 year old wants to move out

My 24 year old autistic son lives with me..mum. He holds down a part time cleaning job. But he cant afford to rent. Is their any help or guidance for this situation. I believe this would be a good move for him and for me. Is their any benefit help. He already gets PIP. Thankyou

Parents
  • Exciting times for both of you!

Do you think your son will need support to live independtly or are you happy he will be able to take care of bills and all the responsibilities of living on his own? If you think he would need some help, can I also suggest doing a google search for "adult needs assessment [your local authority]" such as use North Yorkshire, Staffordshire etc if that's where you are.

They will be able then to help with the sort of accommodation or provide guidance as to where he could live.

If you think he would be able to live independently, then going onto the council house waiting list would be an obvious place for me to start if I was supporting a child of mine.  If he has a formal diagnosis of Autism, then this would be included in the application and might possibly help in reducing waiting time.  As the other commentor mentioned, an application for Universal Credit would be useful if he hasn't signed up for it yet.  Depending on where you live, it might be a requirement to get onto the waiting list, or if not they may be able to help with rent costs.

Good luck

• Exciting times for both of you!

Do you think your son will need support to live independtly or are you happy he will be able to take care of bills and all the responsibilities of living on his own? If you think he would need some help, can I also suggest doing a google search for "adult needs assessment [your local authority]" such as use North Yorkshire, Staffordshire etc if that's where you are.

They will be able then to help with the sort of accommodation or provide guidance as to where he could live.

If you think he would be able to live independently, then going onto the council house waiting list would be an obvious place for me to start if I was supporting a child of mine.  If he has a formal diagnosis of Autism, then this would be included in the application and might possibly help in reducing waiting time.  As the other commentor mentioned, an application for Universal Credit would be useful if he hasn't signed up for it yet.  Depending on where you live, it might be a requirement to get onto the waiting list, or if not they may be able to help with rent costs.

Good luck

Children
No Data