Social stories

I need to teach my Son about safety personal care and hygiene and when and when not to dial the emergency services.  I’m not sure how much he takes in verbally/ orally. With books and cartoons he will only look at and watch what he wants to. Any ideas? 

Parents
  • Hey there!

I have worked in education for a number of years so can confidently state - there's lots of different ways you could do this.  You're definitely the best person to judge what is working best.  But as a suggestion, mirroring is a very good way of embedding concepts and routines into peoples lives.

- Brushing your teeth together, side by side watching each other in the mirror.  "Up down up down up down... now you try... side to side, side to side, now you try" etc.

- Showers and baths can be more interesting if you go out shopping for his own soap.  Depending on his sensory needs, you could go and sample the bewildering array of body soap gels.  Lots of different smells and colours.  Taking interest in his thoughts and reactions to the different smells, gage which one is most interesting to him.  Washing then becomes more interesting because hopefully he's taken more ownership of the experience by choosing what he wants to smell like.

As Chloe Mod suggested, perhaps if you look at the social stories it might give you an idea about how to attempt the other aspects of the learning you'd like him to do.  If there's any lesson ideas you'd like help with - I'm very happy to give some suggestions if you'd like to message backGrin

• Hey there!

I have worked in education for a number of years so can confidently state - there's lots of different ways you could do this.  You're definitely the best person to judge what is working best.  But as a suggestion, mirroring is a very good way of embedding concepts and routines into peoples lives.

- Brushing your teeth together, side by side watching each other in the mirror.  "Up down up down up down... now you try... side to side, side to side, now you try" etc.

- Showers and baths can be more interesting if you go out shopping for his own soap.  Depending on his sensory needs, you could go and sample the bewildering array of body soap gels.  Lots of different smells and colours.  Taking interest in his thoughts and reactions to the different smells, gage which one is most interesting to him.  Washing then becomes more interesting because hopefully he's taken more ownership of the experience by choosing what he wants to smell like.

As Chloe Mod suggested, perhaps if you look at the social stories it might give you an idea about how to attempt the other aspects of the learning you'd like him to do.  If there's any lesson ideas you'd like help with - I'm very happy to give some suggestions if you'd like to message backGrin

Children