Unable to wear clothes help needed

Hi all

My 6 year old has just been diagnosed.  She has been school refusing since October only managing half days or a few days. Currently she is unable to tolerate wearing any clothes apart from knickers and is refusing to leave the house.

Any advice or recommendations on what may help with sensory issues around clothes-she says it hurts and we have tried multiple clothes etc...and also any recommendations around help leaving the house? She cant even go out to do things she wants to do.

Thanks

Parents
  • I have just read Tigger's reply and it reminded me of something. I like cotton socks, but not when they get hard. When I was a child my Mum did her washing either by hand or for some cottons, in a wash boiler. The washing powder she used was different. When we did have a washing machine we had to use 'automatic washing powder '. Apparently something is put into it to stop a lot of bubbles in the wash. I believe this caused clothes to get hard and is the reason we now have to add conditioner to compensate for this. We also could used a soap based powder for washing wool. I am not sure what alternative washing powders are available these days, but wondered if there is anything they could be washed in that would help.

Also if she wears a skirt to school would it help if you can get a soft petticoat/ underskirt to wear underneath?

• I have just read Tigger's reply and it reminded me of something. I like cotton socks, but not when they get hard. When I was a child my Mum did her washing either by hand or for some cottons, in a wash boiler. The washing powder she used was different. When we did have a washing machine we had to use 'automatic washing powder '. Apparently something is put into it to stop a lot of bubbles in the wash. I believe this caused clothes to get hard and is the reason we now have to add conditioner to compensate for this. We also could used a soap based powder for washing wool. I am not sure what alternative washing powders are available these days, but wondered if there is anything they could be washed in that would help.

Also if she wears a skirt to school would it help if you can get a soft petticoat/ underskirt to wear underneath?

Children
  • Thanks hadn't thought about the washing process so will look into that...its like she had develop a fear...she says everything hurts. Even the softest blanket on some days. We have the odd day where site manages but most days there's only knickers.  Will have a look into our washing process