Communicating

Our Son who!s is seven won’t always have a bath or shower.  My husband just kept telling him to have a bath last night over and over but our Son wouldn’t.  Was my husband using the right approach?  

Parents
  • When I was a kid it was bath night once a week, that seemed doable, I cannot cope with this modern idea of doing it every day! As it is so intensely sensory, once a week it can be a pleasure, taking one's time, maybe read or as a kid play with toys in the bubbles. But every day would just be too much and I would resist that. 

But no your husband was not taking the right approach! When people try to force me it makes me dig my heels in. I can be persuaded and reasoned with, but it does have to be reasonable, like once a week. Giving options for some degree of autonomy also helps.

• When I was a kid it was bath night once a week, that seemed doable, I cannot cope with this modern idea of doing it every day! As it is so intensely sensory, once a week it can be a pleasure, taking one's time, maybe read or as a kid play with toys in the bubbles. But every day would just be too much and I would resist that. 

But no your husband was not taking the right approach! When people try to force me it makes me dig my heels in. I can be persuaded and reasoned with, but it does have to be reasonable, like once a week. Giving options for some degree of autonomy also helps.

Children
No Data