Autistic 6 year old, mainstream setting not meeting his needs.

Hi everyone, 

I'm looking for some advice please. My son is 6 years old, he has a diagnosis of Autism and he's also diagnosed with Selective Mutism. 

He attends a mainstream primary school, who do not meet his needs. Such as toileting, drinking, eating, sensory, anxiety. School's plan since the start of reception class, has always been to obtain an EHCP to get the additional support/help that he needs. 

Up until a few weeks ago, school have decided they won't be applying for an EHCP because he scored "ok" with some cognitive areas during Educational Psychologist assessment, even though his additional needs have not changed. 

I have just applied for a parental request for EHC assessment in the hopes the LA see school for what they are. I'm just concerned that the LA will likely go off what school say? 

I have had countless meetings with school due to them not meeting his needs, and still nothing has changed.

Having spoken to other parents at this school, it seems a known thing that the school are not supportive of children with additional needs and they avoid applying for EHC's due to funding. 

Has anyone had a similar journey or has anyone got any advice at all please?

Thank you for reading. 

Parents Reply Children
No Data