Help with school please

My son was diagnosed with impulsive and inattentive ADHD around 5 years ago.  He had help and support in place in primary school, but no EHC plan in place.  He was medicated for ADHD and this does help massively.  He was then diagnosed with ASD in January 2024.  He is currently in year 9 due to start year 10 and his GCSE's in September, and he has absolutely no help in place from the school.  His one plan which I has to fight for in year 7 is still the same now.  His help is 'sit him at the front of the class', 'let him doodle in a pad' and 'use his name to bring him back to task'.  My first face to face parents evening last month was shocking.  He didn't get more than 13% in any exam and more than half of the teachers didn't even know that he had a one plan in place or that he was on the K register.  I am at my wits end with the school.  The SEND head will not speak to me and cannot give me a meeting until the 20th April.  I am looking into a peer educator to hopefully come to that meeting with me.  And I am writing to the director of education to apply for an EHC plan myself.  I need to know what help he is entitled to? and what the school should be doing as a basic?  When he was diagnosed, I was told that I would now get all of my help and support from the school and I'm just getting nothing.  Any help or advice from anyone that has been in a similar situation would be most appreciated.

Parents
  • high school and gcses are worthless anyway.

furthur education is also worthless.
    he can still get a job, and do better than anyone with education. and he can do it in 1 single year while the educated waste 20 years and get nowhere. personal experience, i got bad grades and did bad at school and then did nothing until i wss 30 and now i have surpassed everyone that worked since they left school and everyone that had education.... so id chill, gcses are pointless and overrated. its gonna be alright, the educated do worse in life lol its about how you use the resources you get.

• I would respectfully disagree. Albert Einstein wrote " Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school. " A good education is about transmitting culture ... unfortunately a lot of schools have lost their way, led by Ofsted and politicians with their own agenda.

I accept that my plumber's hourly rate is slightly higher than mine, but I get a lot of job satisfaction from what I do. The main point is that our neurodivergent kids deserve a chance to do whatever they want to do, whether that be an academic career or something more practical.

Qualifications alone aren't everything, but they open up more options. The way things are going, there will be fewer entry-level jobs and a greater demand for technical skills after the robots have taken over routine manual work.  My father was an industrial engineer. He left school at fourteen and did an apprenticeship, studied at night classes, and retired as a Principal Industrial Engineer. He said that when he started the factory had industrial engineers with Higher National Certificates, skilled machinists who had done apprenticeships, and a guy with learning difficulties who made the tea, swept the floor, and got stuff from the stores. When he left they had twenty robots, a graduate computer programmer and a couple of semi-skilled machine minders. The machine minders watched the robots, swept the floor, and made their own tea.

Back in the day, we had jobs that did not require formal qualifications - bank messengers, tea ladies, post-room clerks, railway porters ... now most of those jobs have gone.  As far back as the 1980s I was recruiting for an NHS admin job and had over a hundred applicants with relevant honours degrees.  The "market value" of a degree today is about the same as six GCEs at C+ fifty-odd years ago when I left school. As a society, we are going to have to rethink work in the years to come.

• I would respectfully disagree. Albert Einstein wrote " Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school. " A good education is about transmitting culture ... unfortunately a lot of schools have lost their way, led by Ofsted and politicians with their own agenda.

I accept that my plumber's hourly rate is slightly higher than mine, but I get a lot of job satisfaction from what I do. The main point is that our neurodivergent kids deserve a chance to do whatever they want to do, whether that be an academic career or something more practical.

Qualifications alone aren't everything, but they open up more options. The way things are going, there will be fewer entry-level jobs and a greater demand for technical skills after the robots have taken over routine manual work.  My father was an industrial engineer. He left school at fourteen and did an apprenticeship, studied at night classes, and retired as a Principal Industrial Engineer. He said that when he started the factory had industrial engineers with Higher National Certificates, skilled machinists who had done apprenticeships, and a guy with learning difficulties who made the tea, swept the floor, and got stuff from the stores. When he left they had twenty robots, a graduate computer programmer and a couple of semi-skilled machine minders. The machine minders watched the robots, swept the floor, and made their own tea.

Back in the day, we had jobs that did not require formal qualifications - bank messengers, tea ladies, post-room clerks, railway porters ... now most of those jobs have gone.  As far back as the 1980s I was recruiting for an NHS admin job and had over a hundred applicants with relevant honours degrees.  The "market value" of a degree today is about the same as six GCEs at C+ fifty-odd years ago when I left school. As a society, we are going to have to rethink work in the years to come.

Children
  • yeah thats why people are thinking of universal basic income. but that likely wont be a thing until we reach a point the no jobs is a real issue.

at the moment as they said in the budget there is enough not working who are capable of working that can actually fill the jobs. there is jobs there and no one taking them and they dont wanna fill it with migration anymore like they have been doing for the past 20 years.