Am I going mad?!?!

I've come to this page because I need help - we need help.

My 8 year old boy who was born VERY premature was finally diagnosed with asd and sensory processing disorder this week, to go with the existing diagnosis of anxiety and growth hormone deficiency. His behaviours (80% of them to do with his asd and anxiety) have really affected the family dynamic. My wife can't cope anymore and the last year has been tough all around.

Although we are relieved that we now know what we are dealing with, since his diagnosis things seem to gave got much harder. We don't know what to do. I've shown my little boy some age relevant videos relating to his diagnosis, I've read him books related to anxiety and autism, but I just don't know what to do besides this. My wife thinks we should separate so that we can both have a break from our sons challenging behaviour by sharing our time with him, but I want to fight for our family.

Now I understand why my son behaves the way he does, my anger at his behaviour has turned to (I'm ashamed to say) pity. I hate that I feel sorry for him, and I hate myself for ever being angry at him. My wife's at a different stage and she just can't cope and this is causing more of a rift as I'm trying to do my best for everyone.

I didn't know what else to do but share how I feel. It's probably not appropriate and is definitely a breach of mine and my wife's trust. We still love each other but we can't go on this way. 

Thanks for listening x

Parents Reply Children
No Data