Disabled and married to an Aspie

I wanted to join a discussion for women married to men with Aspergers but I must be a bit thick as I can't see how to join in the threads I have read so far.   I have been married for 45 years and for 34 of those years I have been chronically sick and disabled.  Although I always knew my husband was 'a bit strange' I thought it was mostly his upbringing and then this year discovered it was Aspergers.  Reading about it and seeing a counseller has helped but I am overwhelmed by the sadness I feel that I have in some ways 'wasted' 45 years of my life expecting something different and always trying to work things out and hope for change.  Now I know that I can stop banging my head against a brick wall but I also know that if I could turn the clock back I would not have married this man.  I can't leave him now.  It's too difficult because of my condition.  I have often said that if my husband had taken up medicine he would have been a brilliant surgeon who would save your life but have no bedside manner!  It's the emotional support which is lacking.  He can build a ramp and adapt a bathroom but when another long term medical condition hit me 3 years ago and I thought I was going to lose my sight he said NOTHING!   It's words that fail him.   Anyway, this is just a start as I dip my toe into this community... but I would like to hear from other people who are NTs and whose health is not good and have found their partners wanting in that situation because of their lack of empathy.  Even though he tells me he loves me every day you begin to wonder what love is because somehow it feels like a mechanical habit as he always says it at the same time and in the same way... Gotta go now

Parents
  • Hi Hotel california,

Thanks very much for your reply.  In the past year I think I've read every book I can lay my hands on and have learned much from them but I do feel that there is a huge gap for people like me who are disabled and reliant on an Aspie partner/carer.  I plan to write my own book but finding the energy is not easy.  I do have a very lovely therapist who I have known for over 15 years and she understands the situation.  She helped with  "say what you mean and mean what you say" which she realised I wasn't always doing because I found it so hard to express my needs to a moody man who went into shutdown.  I now realise how specific I have to be and that I can't appeal to his emotions or expect him to anticipate my needs.  It does make the whole situation more wearying because when I'm with people who are way ahead of me and OFFER help it is so much easier.  I do say with great regret that if someone had sat down with me in 1968 and explained that my moody but devastatingly good looking boyfriend/husband-to-be was going to make me feel lonely and unwanted; was not going to be that interested in sex; was going to need loads and loads of space; would not understand other people's emotions then I would not have married him.  I would not leave him now because he needs me as much as I need him and because at his best he is funny, reliable, a good home maker and what is surprising to those who know him - he is an amazingly good grandfather.  I don't think my children or grandchildren would forgive me if I left him but there have been many times when I have wished that I could.  If I had not become ill in 1980 then everything might have been different.  I could have had a job and a life outside of my marriage; I could have been more independent; I could have earned my own money; I could have taken off whenever I wanted to but as it is he has been the wage earner and is 'careful' about money so gets no joy from it.  My friendships have sustained me but when I was diagnosed with eye problems 3 years ago I was devastated at the thought of going blind and having to rely on this man yet again.  I have to go to the eye hospital regularly and he is impatient and huffs and puffs and does not say anything soothing to me to get me through it so I have had to be strong for myself and tell myself that at least he is there physically.  Without him I'd have to pay for expensive taxis.  There isn't anyone else.  My children live away and have small children to take care of.   It all sounds terribly sad but I'm trying to connect with others who have perhaps experienced the same kind of thing.  I have read some of the other comments and feel so sorry for the younger women - one of whom said that there was no honeymoon period and I remember feeling that when I was first married and wondering what was wrong with ME!   Now I know it wasn't me.  I want to say to those younger women 'get out while you can' because I wish I had.

• Hi Hotel california,

Thanks very much for your reply.  In the past year I think I've read every book I can lay my hands on and have learned much from them but I do feel that there is a huge gap for people like me who are disabled and reliant on an Aspie partner/carer.  I plan to write my own book but finding the energy is not easy.  I do have a very lovely therapist who I have known for over 15 years and she understands the situation.  She helped with  "say what you mean and mean what you say" which she realised I wasn't always doing because I found it so hard to express my needs to a moody man who went into shutdown.  I now realise how specific I have to be and that I can't appeal to his emotions or expect him to anticipate my needs.  It does make the whole situation more wearying because when I'm with people who are way ahead of me and OFFER help it is so much easier.  I do say with great regret that if someone had sat down with me in 1968 and explained that my moody but devastatingly good looking boyfriend/husband-to-be was going to make me feel lonely and unwanted; was not going to be that interested in sex; was going to need loads and loads of space; would not understand other people's emotions then I would not have married him.  I would not leave him now because he needs me as much as I need him and because at his best he is funny, reliable, a good home maker and what is surprising to those who know him - he is an amazingly good grandfather.  I don't think my children or grandchildren would forgive me if I left him but there have been many times when I have wished that I could.  If I had not become ill in 1980 then everything might have been different.  I could have had a job and a life outside of my marriage; I could have been more independent; I could have earned my own money; I could have taken off whenever I wanted to but as it is he has been the wage earner and is 'careful' about money so gets no joy from it.  My friendships have sustained me but when I was diagnosed with eye problems 3 years ago I was devastated at the thought of going blind and having to rely on this man yet again.  I have to go to the eye hospital regularly and he is impatient and huffs and puffs and does not say anything soothing to me to get me through it so I have had to be strong for myself and tell myself that at least he is there physically.  Without him I'd have to pay for expensive taxis.  There isn't anyone else.  My children live away and have small children to take care of.   It all sounds terribly sad but I'm trying to connect with others who have perhaps experienced the same kind of thing.  I have read some of the other comments and feel so sorry for the younger women - one of whom said that there was no honeymoon period and I remember feeling that when I was first married and wondering what was wrong with ME!   Now I know it wasn't me.  I want to say to those younger women 'get out while you can' because I wish I had.

Children
No Data