Coping with my emotions as a parent of a late diagnosed daughter.

Hello, my name is Sue.

My daughter is 26 years' old and was diagnosed (privately) with ADHD, Autism and PTSD about 18 months' ago. This followed several years of being prescribed a variety of anti-depressants and several rounds of CBT through the NHS. We are funding her psychiatric treatment and therapy privately. My daughter tells me that she first became aware of the need to "mask" from the age of about 8.and I can recall her saying to me "Mummy, I am different" and my response was "different doesn't mean bad, sweetpea".  She presents as a confident and vibrant young woman because of her learned strategies. The amount of energy and stress this means for her has led to a series of "burnouts" which impacts on her ability to work. 

My experience, so far, is that there is lots of support and guidance out there for how to support your child, far less on supporting adults. What I crave is a non-judgemental forum where I can share candidly the impact this is having on me and the rest of the family. Is there anyone else out there who has felt any of the following:

• Guilt that you did not recognise the symptoms earlier (my daughter is an only child, so I had no comparison)
  • Sadness in coming to terms with the fact that their life will be very different
  • Need to be perfect - "treading on egg shells" and putting pressure on yourself to behave with compassion and empathy at all times
  • Anger - at the "system" that has not supported my daughter (education and NHS)
  • Resentment - that at a time in my life when I should be preparing for retirement, my daughter is always centre stage (God that sounds so selfish, doesn't it)
  • Frustration and disappointment - when life long friends and extended family members "just don't get it"
  • Exasperation at society - where the focus still seems to be helping neurodivberse people to fit in and cope/ rather than celebrating the strengths of their differences

I realise that this list is becoming rather long:(  Do any of you recognise any part of my emotional roller coaster?

Parents Reply Children
  • Hello again, I hope this is helpful. I recently paid for my daughter to have a DNA test to discover how her body processes different mental health medications. The results explained why she had never responded to antidepressants/ anti anxiety medication. She has just tested yet another medication for ADHD which has severely exacerbated her Autism. Our next appointment with her psychiatrist is to explore non-medicated ways of managing her ADHD.

You may already be aware that Autism and ADHD compete against each other. Just thought I would let you know that you may find it a rather meandering, at times frustrating journey discovering the right treatment and strategies for your daughter. Fingers crossed that the process for your daughter is more straightforward, Sue

• Thank you so much for your acknowledgement. It is difficult to express these feelings when you and others around you are always focused on your daughter's needs. As I said in a later post, I am going to make some enquiries about getting some support myself. 

You have  probably noticed that there are a number of comments about parent relationships. All I would say is that you can only do your best and part of that is looking after yourself, too.

It might help you to know that my daughter has said that she would not change her diagnosis and is starting to recognise the talents this gives her. It is a long journey for us both but I have hope that she can find an environment where she can flourish and have a happy and fulfilled life. 

In terms of my relationship with my daughter, we both feel that because of the nature of the conversations we have had, our bond is much deeper.