Coping with my emotions as a parent of a late diagnosed daughter.

Hello, my name is Sue.

My daughter is 26 years' old and was diagnosed (privately) with ADHD, Autism and PTSD about 18 months' ago. This followed several years of being prescribed a variety of anti-depressants and several rounds of CBT through the NHS. We are funding her psychiatric treatment and therapy privately. My daughter tells me that she first became aware of the need to "mask" from the age of about 8.and I can recall her saying to me "Mummy, I am different" and my response was "different doesn't mean bad, sweetpea".  She presents as a confident and vibrant young woman because of her learned strategies. The amount of energy and stress this means for her has led to a series of "burnouts" which impacts on her ability to work. 

My experience, so far, is that there is lots of support and guidance out there for how to support your child, far less on supporting adults. What I crave is a non-judgemental forum where I can share candidly the impact this is having on me and the rest of the family. Is there anyone else out there who has felt any of the following:

• Guilt that you did not recognise the symptoms earlier (my daughter is an only child, so I had no comparison)
  • Sadness in coming to terms with the fact that their life will be very different
  • Need to be perfect - "treading on egg shells" and putting pressure on yourself to behave with compassion and empathy at all times
  • Anger - at the "system" that has not supported my daughter (education and NHS)
  • Resentment - that at a time in my life when I should be preparing for retirement, my daughter is always centre stage (God that sounds so selfish, doesn't it)
  • Frustration and disappointment - when life long friends and extended family members "just don't get it"
  • Exasperation at society - where the focus still seems to be helping neurodivberse people to fit in and cope/ rather than celebrating the strengths of their differences

I realise that this list is becoming rather long:(  Do any of you recognise any part of my emotional roller coaster?

Parents
  • Hi- I am 25 and was diagnosed a few month ago as autistic. I’ve struggled with repeated burnouts and anxiety, depression, issues with food (ARFID) for a while now- I also wish I had been diagnosed sooner. 
    I hope you can let go of the guilt because there is no reason to be. I am sure that you are a very supportive mum and that probably gave your daughter a lot of stability growing up- that’s what it was like for me actually, except that sadly as we grow older even mum superpowers can’t sort out all our issues. 
    My mum also knew I was different from a young age and like you she tried to make me see different as something positive - it worked for a while but with school and growing up I became more aware of just how ´different’ I was and it became harder. 

I can relate to feeling frustrated at the system and professionals. I still struggle to understand how despite seeing so many professionals over years , noone noticed... I was even inpatient for 8 weeks (and really struggled as I felt so ‘different’) and noone picked up on me being autistic. In the end it was my dietitian who suspected that I might be autistic and that resulted in me seeking out diagnosis. What helped me is that I actually contacted some of the professionals I saw over the years to tell them about my diagnosis- I didn’t want to point the finger at anyone / but I realised that the issue most likely is lack of understanding and training about autism and never getting feedback ie. if they never get told I am autistic how will they ever know they missed something when they saw me... I sent some emails and made a few phone calls. I got only one responsend none from the others. Not sure it made any difference but it made me feel better.

Also I just want to say that it’s important to also take care of yourself- you mention your daughter always being centre stage - i can relate as while struggling over the years i have put a lot of pressure on my mum and I am still very reliant on her for emotional and practical support. I feel bad about all the anxiety and stress I am generating. I just feel that it is very important you also protect yourself when necessary- I am glad when my mum does this for herself sometimes- i can get so caught up in my worries and the stress that i can find it hard to not spread it to mum.

• Hi- I am 25 and was diagnosed a few month ago as autistic. I’ve struggled with repeated burnouts and anxiety, depression, issues with food (ARFID) for a while now- I also wish I had been diagnosed sooner. 
    I hope you can let go of the guilt because there is no reason to be. I am sure that you are a very supportive mum and that probably gave your daughter a lot of stability growing up- that’s what it was like for me actually, except that sadly as we grow older even mum superpowers can’t sort out all our issues. 
    My mum also knew I was different from a young age and like you she tried to make me see different as something positive - it worked for a while but with school and growing up I became more aware of just how ´different’ I was and it became harder. 

I can relate to feeling frustrated at the system and professionals. I still struggle to understand how despite seeing so many professionals over years , noone noticed... I was even inpatient for 8 weeks (and really struggled as I felt so ‘different’) and noone picked up on me being autistic. In the end it was my dietitian who suspected that I might be autistic and that resulted in me seeking out diagnosis. What helped me is that I actually contacted some of the professionals I saw over the years to tell them about my diagnosis- I didn’t want to point the finger at anyone / but I realised that the issue most likely is lack of understanding and training about autism and never getting feedback ie. if they never get told I am autistic how will they ever know they missed something when they saw me... I sent some emails and made a few phone calls. I got only one responsend none from the others. Not sure it made any difference but it made me feel better.

Also I just want to say that it’s important to also take care of yourself- you mention your daughter always being centre stage - i can relate as while struggling over the years i have put a lot of pressure on my mum and I am still very reliant on her for emotional and practical support. I feel bad about all the anxiety and stress I am generating. I just feel that it is very important you also protect yourself when necessary- I am glad when my mum does this for herself sometimes- i can get so caught up in my worries and the stress that i can find it hard to not spread it to mum.

Children
  • Hello Ann, 

My daughter has said to me that she worries that she is too much and doesn't want to drain everyone who cares about her. We have started to set some boundaries and I am getting better at recognising when I can postpone a conversation and when she really does need to talk until 2.00am. 

I have told my daughter that I see her as a strong and brave woman who does not see what she gives back to others. The reason we continue to invest in her is because we love her deeply. Neurodiversity brings with it some incredible positive aptitudes. I am looking forward to her finding a place where these are really celebrated. 

Only, yesterday, we had a chat about me getting some 121 support. As the saying goes "if you want to help others; you have to look after yourself first". 

Thank you Slight smile