Frazzled Mum - 4.5 year old girl autism?

I feel totally frazzled by my daughters behaviour, which seems to be getting worse.  I've thought there was something a little different about her from the age of 2, but couldn't quite put my finger on it. Anyone out there with experience in Autism in girls, please could you have a read of my notes below and see if you can relate to any of this behaviour? Not sure where to go with this - hope she grows out of the behaviours, seek help etc. 

Here are her little quirks:

Struggles when things don't go as she expects. Very rigid in her expectations - easily throws a tantrum when things don't go as she has planned. This will happen throughout the day.
Follows rules/processes religiously and will point out if anyone is not following properly.
Can't settle well when staying over in a hotel or any location other than home - not good with change. Struggles to settle in a new environment
Very wriggly - struggles to sit still.  Loves a cuddle but will wriggle constantly.
Very, very literal - hard to joke with her as she takes everything so literally. Have noticed she is becoming more and more literal. 
Hugely logical for her age
Has the best memory ever
Gets very easily frustrated - finds it hard to regulate her emotions.
Has no speech issues - speaks very well.
Very clumsy
Went through a biting stage until age 3. Still likes to put things in her mouth. Finds comfort in chewing things/sucking her comforter.
I'd describe her as very sensory sensitive.
Quite destructive - has ruined many toys by drawing on them, biting/chewing them etc. even though she knows not to. She just can't seem to help herself.
Has been potty trained for ages but regressed and has been weeing in her knickers for about a year now (not a full wee but enough to be wet) doesn't bother her at all. Does it every day but nothing we try works. She doesn't know why she does it.
Will make friends with anyone she meets. Even complete strangers. 
Sensitive to sounds - often questions what various sounds are. Covers her ears when she hears sounds she doesn't like - e.g. radiator clicking, hand dryers, owl sound etc. Hates people shouting, her sister singing, amongst many other things.
Asks questions but when they are answered she often doesn't listen and then asks the question again and again. She then gets very frustrated thinking we haven't answered the question.
Has tantrums very easily, gets upset and frustrated.
Always interrupts conversations and gets very angry when she has to wait for her turn to speak.
Shouts a lot. Yet hates others shouting. 
Sucks her comforter to settle herself
Impossible to reason with her because she is so rigid in her thoughts.
Very sensitive to smells - often talks about smells and tells people they smell or highlights bad smells. 
Huge reluctance to try new things - even when it is things she will very clearly like.
Doing well at school. No concerns there, but they have been working on her understanding of emotions for a while now as she struggles with regulating her emotions.
Seems to potentially mask at school, then explode when she gets home. 
Her memory is incredible, never known anything like it! This causes issues in itself as she doesn't forget anything. She will get fixated on baking a cake for example, and will not forget it and will go on about it constantly and no amount of explaining why we can't do it that second helps deflect the situation. She will then get really angry and not listen or understand what we have said. 
She has also always had this fascination with being a chef. Probably from just under 2. She absolutely loves baking and is really good at it!
Some examples of her way of thinking:
We went to TKMaxx for her to choose her Grandma a Christmas present. She picked up this odd angel ornament and decided that was perfect as her Grandma's name is Angel. She showed my husband and he questioned her choice, he said "But Elsie, it doesn't even have any wings" Her response: "But Daddy, Grandma is an Angel and she doesn't have wings, so it is perfect"
Went into the poundstore as she wanted some bath crayons.
"Mummy, where will they be?"
"I don't know Elsie, we just have to keep are eyes open and look out for them" "But Mummy, I don't know how to do that, I can't stop blinking"
Food wise - she is ok at eating but she changes her mind about what she likes constantly and if I chop her toast in the wrong shape, or give her the wrong coloured plate - all hell breaks loose. I think at nursery they used to ask that she at least tried the food, so now when I say she hasn't eaten enough dinner yet she fixates on the words "But I tried" thinking that means she has had enough. The other day - I said, you must eat 5 more pieces of chicken - she got one piece and broke it into 5! So cheeky, but her logic is incredible.  She saw a You Tube video that said pizza was unhealthy, so now she won't touch it.  I also say to her "Make sure you eat your chicken as it makes you grow" She has decided she doesn't want to grow, so now won't eat chicken. 
Parents
  • Update - Had the meeting with the SENCO at the school yesterday and they were so very helpful and supporting and are going to do everything they can to support us and Elsie.  Although she doesn't show such issues at school, apart from having problems moving from one task to another, their view is that she is likely to be on the spectrum and will continue supporting her as if she is. For next steps, do we go down the diagnosis route? 

• Hi, As someone who was only diagnosed at age 25 and who had no idea she could be autistic before then, I would highly recommend getting a diagnosis early. I wish I had been diagnosed sooner- I think it could have saved a lot of upset and allowed me to cope better. It's just good to know- as your daughter gets older she will probably begin feeling more and more that she is different - at least that was what it was like for me. My mum was great in making me feel positive about being 'different' when I was young but the older I got the more marked the differences were and it was hard to deal with- I felt at times like I just needed to try harder etc. and I struggled. Also I think if I had known about being autistic I would have been a lot kinder to myself and maybe I would have learnt at an earlier age how to manage my energy levels and avoid burnout... instead I just muddled along, doing well academically but then struggling more and more with mental health as I got older- I collected lots of diagnoses... none of them properly fit. I now realise I was struggling from burnout at times but I had no idea that was what it was- I kept trying to fix things which probably were just not something that can or should be fixed. It made so much sense when I realised that I might be autistic. When it was first suggested, I initially dismissed it thinking that I really did not need yet another label.... but when I started reading about autism in women it made so much sense - then came the confusion/imposter syndrome phase. But overall I think it just really helps to know. 

Also I think it is just useful to have an official diagnosis in case later on your daughter does need more support whether at school or work or in other ways. And as it takes a long time to get a diagnosis it's risky to wait until you need it. It would give you more safety to have the diagnosis. And if you don't want to, you don't have to tell anyone. It doesn't have to change anything but it is just useful to have.

That's my personal opinion based on my own experiences. 

• Hi, As someone who was only diagnosed at age 25 and who had no idea she could be autistic before then, I would highly recommend getting a diagnosis early. I wish I had been diagnosed sooner- I think it could have saved a lot of upset and allowed me to cope better. It's just good to know- as your daughter gets older she will probably begin feeling more and more that she is different - at least that was what it was like for me. My mum was great in making me feel positive about being 'different' when I was young but the older I got the more marked the differences were and it was hard to deal with- I felt at times like I just needed to try harder etc. and I struggled. Also I think if I had known about being autistic I would have been a lot kinder to myself and maybe I would have learnt at an earlier age how to manage my energy levels and avoid burnout... instead I just muddled along, doing well academically but then struggling more and more with mental health as I got older- I collected lots of diagnoses... none of them properly fit. I now realise I was struggling from burnout at times but I had no idea that was what it was- I kept trying to fix things which probably were just not something that can or should be fixed. It made so much sense when I realised that I might be autistic. When it was first suggested, I initially dismissed it thinking that I really did not need yet another label.... but when I started reading about autism in women it made so much sense - then came the confusion/imposter syndrome phase. But overall I think it just really helps to know. 

Also I think it is just useful to have an official diagnosis in case later on your daughter does need more support whether at school or work or in other ways. And as it takes a long time to get a diagnosis it's risky to wait until you need it. It would give you more safety to have the diagnosis. And if you don't want to, you don't have to tell anyone. It doesn't have to change anything but it is just useful to have.

That's my personal opinion based on my own experiences. 

Children
No Data