Advice!

My 3.5 yr old is currently non-verbal and awaiting assessment which we started at year ago but has took until recently to get him on a waiting list to actually have his assessment as my local nhs changed how they do their assessments.

he is currently not attending any nursery even though he should be as they feel he needs support but can’t get any extra funding for this.

main problem the now is his temper, the littlest thing at the minute sets him off, we are hit, bit, kicked, scratched things thrown at his, he screams stomps.

any advice on how to handle this?

Parents
  • There are so many things which cause autistics to feel assaulted daily. We can have difficulty filtering out unwanted sensory elements. And because we can be wired to sense everything all at once, we might feel the world is beyond reason and naturally feel a response toward taking matters into our own hands. 

Sensory assault can come from:

Harsh perfumes in cleaning agents, candles, and such. Most are chemically made and terrible for health. Some compounds in candles create formaldehyde when burning. Could be useful to wear a mask in a public toilet.

Painful frequencies, especially high pitched ones from electrical currents many adults have lost hearing for. You should be able to down load a decibel reader and frequency spectrum to your phone. The World Health Org has a decibel limit chart to show how long the human ear can be exposed to levels before it creates permanent damage. Many hand dryers in public loos are louder than a Jet Engine and exceed this level.

Interruptions while in a flow state - or hyper-focus (like waking a sleepwalker). This can feel like waterboarding. Always allow time for transitions.

Clothing made from unnatural fibres like polyesters which are another form of plastic. The skin cannot "breathe" properly.

Foods which have been tampered with like GMOs can drastically effect the gut. Many of us have gut-health issues. For this reason it's important to never force feed a child. But many of us have dietary requirements. When in doubt the FODMAP 'diet' (eliminating potentially difficult intolerances and allergies) is a useful place to start. 

Unnatural lighting. sometimes one halogen lamp with a full spectrum is all one needs compared to a house lit up by LEDs, which can cause headaches and stress due to the narrow band of light. Most have too much UV and that blue light has been proven to damage retina's in infants and impact our circadian rhythm, which can have a whole mess of health implications.

There are so many things which most children don't have 30-40 years to adapt to which many autistic adults find impossible to filter out. 

Doing too many things at once. Our heads can be a bit of chaos, all the time, so when our surroundings are calm and in order, it makes life just a little more balanced. I've chatted with individuals who have a similar experience to my daily life when they micro-dose on mushrooms and say they wouldn't want to live that way every day. 

Most of us as children are easily reasoned with. Not using words yet is OK, there are so many forms of expression from music to art and movement. Theatre classes can teach a sort of mime and music can help emphasise frustration or enjoyment. I met a mum who's non-speaking autistic was excelling incredibly in map-making. Geometry and Geology. We can have a great wealth of expression which doesn't require words, but when I was young, I'd break down and cry for the inability to access words and the inability to articulate to very impatient parents, as I wasn't diagnosed. That kind of compounded frustration - when you have so much to say and no structure to express - is incredibly overwhelming. It can cause a lot of trauma in itself.

• There are so many things which cause autistics to feel assaulted daily. We can have difficulty filtering out unwanted sensory elements. And because we can be wired to sense everything all at once, we might feel the world is beyond reason and naturally feel a response toward taking matters into our own hands. 

Sensory assault can come from:

Harsh perfumes in cleaning agents, candles, and such. Most are chemically made and terrible for health. Some compounds in candles create formaldehyde when burning. Could be useful to wear a mask in a public toilet.

Painful frequencies, especially high pitched ones from electrical currents many adults have lost hearing for. You should be able to down load a decibel reader and frequency spectrum to your phone. The World Health Org has a decibel limit chart to show how long the human ear can be exposed to levels before it creates permanent damage. Many hand dryers in public loos are louder than a Jet Engine and exceed this level.

Interruptions while in a flow state - or hyper-focus (like waking a sleepwalker). This can feel like waterboarding. Always allow time for transitions.

Clothing made from unnatural fibres like polyesters which are another form of plastic. The skin cannot "breathe" properly.

Foods which have been tampered with like GMOs can drastically effect the gut. Many of us have gut-health issues. For this reason it's important to never force feed a child. But many of us have dietary requirements. When in doubt the FODMAP 'diet' (eliminating potentially difficult intolerances and allergies) is a useful place to start. 

Unnatural lighting. sometimes one halogen lamp with a full spectrum is all one needs compared to a house lit up by LEDs, which can cause headaches and stress due to the narrow band of light. Most have too much UV and that blue light has been proven to damage retina's in infants and impact our circadian rhythm, which can have a whole mess of health implications.

There are so many things which most children don't have 30-40 years to adapt to which many autistic adults find impossible to filter out. 

Doing too many things at once. Our heads can be a bit of chaos, all the time, so when our surroundings are calm and in order, it makes life just a little more balanced. I've chatted with individuals who have a similar experience to my daily life when they micro-dose on mushrooms and say they wouldn't want to live that way every day. 

Most of us as children are easily reasoned with. Not using words yet is OK, there are so many forms of expression from music to art and movement. Theatre classes can teach a sort of mime and music can help emphasise frustration or enjoyment. I met a mum who's non-speaking autistic was excelling incredibly in map-making. Geometry and Geology. We can have a great wealth of expression which doesn't require words, but when I was young, I'd break down and cry for the inability to access words and the inability to articulate to very impatient parents, as I wasn't diagnosed. That kind of compounded frustration - when you have so much to say and no structure to express - is incredibly overwhelming. It can cause a lot of trauma in itself.

Children
No Data