Reading and writing

My Son is in Year 1 at a mainstream primary school in the UK. He recognises is letters but isn’t yet blending them together to read a word, he can mark make and has attempted one or two letters but he can’t yet write or draw. Do any parents have experience of their Children having these difficulties and how did they overcome them? 

Parents
  • My son struggled to read and he is not able to predict what comes next in a sentence. He couldn't blend words either. I used to use and talk about the pictures a lot. My son loved the repetitive stories, especially Julia Donaldson ones as they rhyme. His favourite was the Ladybird one. -That is good too as the Ladybird has a texture in the pictures. He is not dyslexic but at the suggestion of our optician he found a blue filter over words helped. He is 14 now and his reading has improved, although he still needs help at school.

We had a lot of audiobooks and borrowed from the library, so he could follow or become familiar with stories. Also with the summer coming, use anything you can to help with identifying useful words on signs as part of games which are fun.

Regarding writing, that is also something he found difficult, but because he has an EHCP he is able to use his Chromebook for more of his lessons which helps.

• My son struggled to read and he is not able to predict what comes next in a sentence. He couldn't blend words either. I used to use and talk about the pictures a lot. My son loved the repetitive stories, especially Julia Donaldson ones as they rhyme. His favourite was the Ladybird one. -That is good too as the Ladybird has a texture in the pictures. He is not dyslexic but at the suggestion of our optician he found a blue filter over words helped. He is 14 now and his reading has improved, although he still needs help at school.

We had a lot of audiobooks and borrowed from the library, so he could follow or become familiar with stories. Also with the summer coming, use anything you can to help with identifying useful words on signs as part of games which are fun.

Regarding writing, that is also something he found difficult, but because he has an EHCP he is able to use his Chromebook for more of his lessons which helps.

Children
No Data