Reading and writing

My Son is in Year 1 at a mainstream primary school in the UK. He recognises is letters but isn’t yet blending them together to read a word, he can mark make and has attempted one or two letters but he can’t yet write or draw. Do any parents have experience of their Children having these difficulties and how did they overcome them? 

Parents
  • I'd suggest helping him into learning music through playing an instrument. He may have trouble with notes on the paper, but find someone who's willing to help him learn a thing by ear to start, following along on paper. Music helps us create a wealth of network connexions in our brain. Another idea is to learn songs and sing them along with the lyrics.

My son had dyslexia and video games helped - the ones which he had to learn to read short sentences, like Zelda. I think this company has some fun games which help children with learning https://www.teachyourmonster.org

I read with a bookmark to underline the letters like a placard otherwise they can blur together. Paper is always easier than digital, as well. But there's usually neurological wiring creating a strength, redirecting focus from connecting symbols together to sound out language. The brain is a fascinating machine- it can put some compartments to sleep to funnel energy into others. Find his strengths so he has something he feels confident in. For many it can be something kinetic.

• I'd suggest helping him into learning music through playing an instrument. He may have trouble with notes on the paper, but find someone who's willing to help him learn a thing by ear to start, following along on paper. Music helps us create a wealth of network connexions in our brain. Another idea is to learn songs and sing them along with the lyrics.

My son had dyslexia and video games helped - the ones which he had to learn to read short sentences, like Zelda. I think this company has some fun games which help children with learning https://www.teachyourmonster.org

I read with a bookmark to underline the letters like a placard otherwise they can blur together. Paper is always easier than digital, as well. But there's usually neurological wiring creating a strength, redirecting focus from connecting symbols together to sound out language. The brain is a fascinating machine- it can put some compartments to sleep to funnel energy into others. Find his strengths so he has something he feels confident in. For many it can be something kinetic.

Children
No Data