Reading and writing

My Son is in Year 1 at a mainstream primary school in the UK. He recognises is letters but isn’t yet blending them together to read a word, he can mark make and has attempted one or two letters but he can’t yet write or draw. Do any parents have experience of their Children having these difficulties and how did they overcome them? 

Parents
  • HI there,

I agree with Dawn. My daughter had similar problems. Her hand used to hurt so much trying to hold a pencil and write. We used pencil grips which really helped. We also bought fat crayons/pencils. Things that were easier to grip and let her go crazy with paint...window pens...anything that made the mark making fun. It turned out she was dyslexic and had fine motor problems. We think there is a degree of dyspraxia there.

She is now in year 4 at school and still has issues....but her writing is legible and she can write quite small letters. Its just taken her much longer than her peers but it can all be overcome. Just be super patient and don't put pressure on him because if he suddenly decides he hates doing it or gets anxious it will be hard to turn that around. Thats what happened to us because of poor teaching at school...the teacher was awful and put a lot of pressure on her. She refused to write anything for months! Patience all the way.

• HI there,

I agree with Dawn. My daughter had similar problems. Her hand used to hurt so much trying to hold a pencil and write. We used pencil grips which really helped. We also bought fat crayons/pencils. Things that were easier to grip and let her go crazy with paint...window pens...anything that made the mark making fun. It turned out she was dyslexic and had fine motor problems. We think there is a degree of dyspraxia there.

She is now in year 4 at school and still has issues....but her writing is legible and she can write quite small letters. Its just taken her much longer than her peers but it can all be overcome. Just be super patient and don't put pressure on him because if he suddenly decides he hates doing it or gets anxious it will be hard to turn that around. Thats what happened to us because of poor teaching at school...the teacher was awful and put a lot of pressure on her. She refused to write anything for months! Patience all the way.

Children