Reading and writing

My Son is in Year 1 at a mainstream primary school in the UK. He recognises is letters but isn’t yet blending them together to read a word, he can mark make and has attempted one or two letters but he can’t yet write or draw. Do any parents have experience of their Children having these difficulties and how did they overcome them? 

Parents
  • Sometimes a particular child is just not neurologically ready to read and write. My elder daughter had great problems at that age, she just didn't have the brain connections to be able to make sense of written words. Her teachers made things worse as they are measured on the performance of the children in their class, and seem to expect all children to progress at the same rate. However, it is just frustrating for the child to be pushed so hard, when they just cannot yet function in that way. All at once, my daughter picked it up, and she zoomed ahead, at 11 she had the reading age of a 13 year old. About a year and a half ago she obtained a first class electrical engineering degree.

• Sometimes a particular child is just not neurologically ready to read and write. My elder daughter had great problems at that age, she just didn't have the brain connections to be able to make sense of written words. Her teachers made things worse as they are measured on the performance of the children in their class, and seem to expect all children to progress at the same rate. However, it is just frustrating for the child to be pushed so hard, when they just cannot yet function in that way. All at once, my daughter picked it up, and she zoomed ahead, at 11 she had the reading age of a 13 year old. About a year and a half ago she obtained a first class electrical engineering degree.

Children
No Data