Anxiety and Sleep Issues

Hi, I'm a parent-carer, along with my husband, to our two autistic children, aged 10 and 6. Eldest recently diagnosed, youngest referred for assessment, so we are still learning about autism, but feel we have a good understanding of our kids' specific strengths and needs.

There are lots of challenges at home and school, but the biggest impact on our family life is sleep. Both kids need to have husband or I with them to fall asleep, both are anxious and despite our reassurances, won't even try falling asleep with us if they can't see us, so not even in the next room. If they wake in the night they come in to bed with us. This has been happening for over three years and all the advice we've been given we have tried and is aimed at neurotypical kids (as with most parenting advice IMHO).

Has anyone else experienced this and can offer any suggestions?

Thanks

Parents
  • You may have tried this, in which case apologies, but are there ways they can be in control of their environment at night that might reduce anxiety? Like fairy lights or night lights they can control from bed, a player for music or audio books (something like a Yoto player if you don't want tablets etc in the room) and maybe a weighted blanket for security?

Also when my kids wake in the night I always go to their bed rather than having them in mine. It's a squeeze, and they're both younger than yours, but it does keep our bed for us.

• You may have tried this, in which case apologies, but are there ways they can be in control of their environment at night that might reduce anxiety? Like fairy lights or night lights they can control from bed, a player for music or audio books (something like a Yoto player if you don't want tablets etc in the room) and maybe a weighted blanket for security?

Also when my kids wake in the night I always go to their bed rather than having them in mine. It's a squeeze, and they're both younger than yours, but it does keep our bed for us.

Children
No Data