Struggling to pass my driving test.

I have been struggling to pass my driving test. I have autism Asperger's syndrome. I am lacking attention to detail, focusing issues and have been hesitant. I wanted to know people who have autism Asperger's syndrome how have you come across driving tests? What things did you do to cope with it and pass the driving tests. What techniques have you been using.

If some one can share there story that will be a great help too.

Thank you Blush

Parents
  • Hesitation was a real issue for me. Even when I passed I had two faults for going too slowly. I also struggled with estimating distances and speeds which made me uncomfortable when pulling out and calculating when was safe to. Fortunately in some ways I went with a better safe than sorry approach, but it did and still does cause problems. 

I was fortunate enough to have an amazing teacher, who practiced with me for well over a year as well as practicing with my parents until I was ready to take the test. She and I started a system particularly for T-junctions where I practiced pulling out of T-junctions on quiet roads until I was 100% sure that I could pull out and get into second gear within 3 seconds. Then we went to more busy roads and I learned to pick a point and count how long it took for the car to get to me. This did sometimes mean that if there were cars when I first got there but they were a long way away I ended up waiting a lot longer than needed, but it was necessary for me to be comfortable and safe. Then I could use that distance/number count to judge if a gap was big enough for that junction. I still do this at every junction, even ones I know well often, and some things can skew it like the size of the vehicle (my brain sees lorries and buses and assumes they're a lot closer than they are due to their size despite the fact I usually have more time due to them often moving more slowly) but it has allowed me to drive on much busier roads than I would have otherwise. 

When it comes to attention to detail, I did a lot of the theory hazard tests, even after my theory was passed. I did find them annoying at times (you can fail for having clicked too early?!) but they allowed me to practice scanning the road separately from the whole controlling the car thing, which helped to put them together. 

Focus was a nightmare in terms of tiring quickly. I still can't safely make longer car journeys and I'm not sure I ever will. The actual test is only 45 mins, so about an hour is all you need in terms of passing but in terms of dealing with daily driving, I find 2 hours a day to be my limit while safe. I'd recommend doing lots of practice (not the most helpful suggestion I know but it is one of the biggest assistors) and try and find your good time zones and what becomes too much for you. Also, I don't know what kind of area you live in, but quiet country lanes are great for building awareness in a slightly less stressful environment. You will run into vehicles, but it's not the town nightmare of having to concentrate on pedestrians following crossings, pedestrians not following crossings, traffic lights, other vehicles and controlling your own car. I still hate driving in cities but fortunately I don't have much call for it except late at night when my local buses stop running.

Hope some of this was of some help. Do enquire further if you have any more questions, I hope your driving practices go well

• Even this evening, I wasn't sure about a right-turn whenever it was green to go straight. The car behind me honked, but turned right in the end.

Reply Children
No Data