Self neglect

We're still struggling with issues around severe, chronic burnout, withdrawal and self isolation (mostly within just one room) in our adult son.  The thought occurs to me, especially given that this has led to very poor personal hygiene, absolute refusal (or inability) to engage with services or even, for much of the time, with family members, does this all at some point become more than self neglect and turn into more of a safeguarding issue for which we, as parents are responsible?  

If so, what on earth should we be doing for someone who has capacity but who uses this to refuse all help, especially understandable since his experiences with services have been entirely negative, even leading to a worsening of issues in the past?  We would hate to (once again!) enlist the help of any service which isn't autism friendly, approaches issues clumsily then leaves us in a worse position with well intentioned but ultimately useless suggestions like getting back in touch when he's willing to engage (this just isn't going to be happening any time soon) and comments such as, "We've never met anyone so unwilling to engage.  If only he would engage then ..." - i.e. simply echoing our difficulties back to us, withdrawing from the situation and leaving us without any support.  

This all feels very much like a stalemate situation but one in which we could be, while emotionally exhausted and trying to do our best, colluding with the neglect and thereby failing in our responsibilities and duties to our son.  

Parents
  • Oh my gosh this sound just like my son.  He is 22 years old but has reasoning of 15years.  I have tried to get him help from different services, as he has no social interaction outside of the house.. and he point blank refuses..  I too get told, "contact us again when your son is ready"  I don't think he will EVER be ready as he is so content being in his comfort zone.. 

• Yes, I have learnt to feel that the whole concept of readiness is being used to keep us from getting any help.  Likewise "insight", as if this is going to magically materialise from the depths of a person's psyche. 

We don't have any choice any more though, as our son refuses to engage altogether and services aren't geared up to promote engagement. 

Of course, promoting real engagement would take time to focus on building a therapeutic relationship and individually tailor any support, which might just prove too expensive.  Sigh.. 

• Yes, I have learnt to feel that the whole concept of readiness is being used to keep us from getting any help.  Likewise "insight", as if this is going to magically materialise from the depths of a person's psyche. 

We don't have any choice any more though, as our son refuses to engage altogether and services aren't geared up to promote engagement. 

Of course, promoting real engagement would take time to focus on building a therapeutic relationship and individually tailor any support, which might just prove too expensive.  Sigh.. 

Children
No Data