Overly affectionate child

Hi there,

I am a single mum who was recently diagnosed with high functioning autism.

My son, who turned 4 at the weekend, is also showing lots of features of high functioning autism.  He recently started pre-prep.

School are great and are supporting him with things like visual cues and timetables so he understands what's happening when and he is actually doing brilliantly at settling in.  Between myself and the school, we are sorting paperwork for extra support and assessment for ASD.  I am a GP which is proving quite helpful.

Seem to be having a big problem with son being overly affectionate.  He has always been very cuddly which hasn't been a problem up until now (he never settled at Montessori when he was 2 so ended up stopping going so this is first time really being around lots of others).  However, he is constantly hugging and being tactile with the other children in his class and they really don't like it.  He has told his teacher and the class room assistant that he loves them and keeps cuddling them.

I keep trying to explain to him that while he can cuddle his family, other people don't necessarily like it and it can upset them.  He doesn't seem to be taking it on board.  I have mentioned to the school and on the paperwork that I am worried that him being over tactile with others will cause a problem.  My mum picked him up from school today and the teacher had said to her that she will be speaking to me again about my son wanting to hug and touch the other children again as it seems to be upsetting them.

I'm not sure how else I can tackle this.  He has a tendency to go around knocking down the other kids' building blocks too, again I have tried explaining and demonstrating for years that this is not kind but he doesn't take it in.  

Im getting worried that because of his behaviour that he is going to be ostracized very quickly by the other children.  He is a very happy little boy but I worry that he could end up in a situation where he ends up isolating himself because of his actions.

Parents
  •      He may very well start to push people away as his demonstrative love for them is rejected. I had a very similar profile, myself. I did become isolated and desperately lonely, as a consequence. I could not understand why my affections were not returned. I began to feel I was unworthy somehow. this was a spiral down to watching others from a distance. Of course things are quite a bit more accommodating than in the 1950s.

Perhaps he will find a balance. It sound like loving others and people in general are of special interest to him - a special interest. Please let him know he NOT unworthy of love and friendship, but that many other people do not understand this love and are not able to respond to it. It is not him, it is the culture he lives in. Are there any other AS folks in his life? This may also make a difference. Can you enroll him in a school meant for AS folk?

•      He may very well start to push people away as his demonstrative love for them is rejected. I had a very similar profile, myself. I did become isolated and desperately lonely, as a consequence. I could not understand why my affections were not returned. I began to feel I was unworthy somehow. this was a spiral down to watching others from a distance. Of course things are quite a bit more accommodating than in the 1950s.

Perhaps he will find a balance. It sound like loving others and people in general are of special interest to him - a special interest. Please let him know he NOT unworthy of love and friendship, but that many other people do not understand this love and are not able to respond to it. It is not him, it is the culture he lives in. Are there any other AS folks in his life? This may also make a difference. Can you enroll him in a school meant for AS folk?

Children
No Data