Help! University appeals system, mid-degree

Hello, does anyone have any experience of appealing against a university decision? Specifically about being told you can't progress to year three

Parents
  • is the decision related to exam results, attendance, a disaplinory issue or something else?

• Thanks Peter. It's exam results after August resits.

• then its very awkward. The equality act 2010 doesn't cover qualifications / marks awarded. You can't for instance say 'oh i'm dyslexic therefore all spelling mistakes should be ignored in my work.' However if you were due reasonable adjustments (more time, taking the exam in isolation etc) and didn't get them you may be able to ague for another resit as a first attempt. Also if the exam result isn't obviously nessicery for progression (eg requiring individuals on a physics degree to pass a knitting exam) and if your autism contributed to you failing you could argue preventing you from progressing with out the pass is discrimination. But generally speaking the law doesn't provide for the 'tweaking' of exam results because the person taking them had a disability. #notlegaladvice

• Thank you Peter. I've shown him this thread now and he's working on it.

• I strongly suggest he lodges that appeal even if it's very short and bare bones. The 4 points to get across

1. he is autistic (or if not formally diagnosed believes he is autistic)
    2. his autism negatively effected his ability to adapt to the changes made to studying and assessment because of the lockdown.
    3. he believes this inability to adapt has had a significantly adverse effect on his academic performance
    4. he believes it would be reasonable to allow him to retake the entirety of year 2 to achieve a better grade.

that way they are on notice that there is an issue and autism is a factor. that's helpful if it ever gets into court later.

• I strongly suggest he lodges that appeal even if it's very short and bare bones. The 4 points to get across

1. he is autistic (or if not formally diagnosed believes he is autistic)
    2. his autism negatively effected his ability to adapt to the changes made to studying and assessment because of the lockdown.
    3. he believes this inability to adapt has had a significantly adverse effect on his academic performance
    4. he believes it would be reasonable to allow him to retake the entirety of year 2 to achieve a better grade.

that way they are on notice that there is an issue and autism is a factor. that's helpful if it ever gets into court later.

Children