Hi there from a new member! Looking for advice on sleep problems.

Hi there, 

We are currently in the process of being referred to a special needs HV for our 3 year old son. Our HV assessed him both at home and at nursery and felt strongly that he is on the Autistic spectrum. We have been told this might take several months so I'm after some advice on sleep in the meantime. We are having real problems with him being awake for half the night which has been going on for almost a year. He goes to bed fine but then wakes around 2am and is then completely restless (jumping, shouting, constant fidgeting) from then on. He shares a room with his twin brother so we let him come in with us so we don't have both of them awake.  We have tried a weighted blanket but he didn't take to it. 

Does anyone have any suggestions/tips on what we can try until our appointment? 

Thanks in advance,

Nicky 

• Hi ,

I'm sorry to hear that your son has had some difficulties with his sleep routine. You may find it useful to have a look at the following information around autism and sleep from the NAS:

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/physical-health/sleep

I hope your appointment goes well.

Chloe Mod

• I'm not a doctor, but I have personal experience with changing my environment and habits to help myself and my son. You *could* have one of these intelligent young beings with wild and active imaginations and/or - as it seems you've described - one designed for the 'Olympics' (in need of a massive amount of outdoor/play time - as an adult, routine workouts). IF this is the case, a trampoline, a skipping rope and other out door things which will match his adrenaline may be worth the investment. 

But I can't really assume anything. Here's my personal lifestyle thoughts: 

LEDs have not only been proven to cause retina damage in small children and upset the natural circadian rhythm (waking at 2am). I order incandescent and halogen for bedrooms, living spaces and NIGHT LIGHTS <<< this is really important. For hallways, safety fixtures, outside lights and other lights you can turn off a few hours before he goes to bed? LED is fine. I set computer and other LED screens to night mode (a yellowish tint) in the evening. Black out is helpful in a bedroom where street lights wash in. 

I've had to check my diet as well. Caffeine from chocolate in the late afternoon/evening is enough to keep children awake past their bedtime. Also, all foods break down in to a type of sugar. A surge from something breaking down in the body like glucose from grains. For instance, if you've found yourself suddenly awake, middle of the night after your liver has processed a few too many drinks. Not all sugars are the same. For instance I don't have the same reaction to honey as i do with cane sugar and it's due to How it breaks down. Same with juice: natural is easier for the body to break down than sweetened, added sweeteners or cordials. A higher protein diet is helpful for humans with glucose and lactose issues. You could look into seeing an allergist about biological dietary needs? Even if there's no issue, I find it's always quite good to google information on insulin, blood sugar, adrenaline, how the body creates energy. But I like understanding these things :) 

Just a few ideas! These may or may not help... but good luck!