weight loss

Hi,

My son is 19 years old. He is approx 5 foot 10 and now weighs 8 stone.

He suffers from depression but mainly anxiety. He is awaiting an Autism assessment. He gets very agitated, angry verbally and physically.

His appetite has gradually gotten worse and worse. He does get where he feels hungry but just can't stomach anything. Food makes him feel nauseous , he has no appetite and doesn't 'want' to eat.

He hates his weight loss but just can't eat. He will nibble on things as and when and will occasionally eat 1 small meal a day. He can also go 24 hours without food.

The doctor keeps repeatedly saying that Tom needs to try Talking Therapy but the doctors don't seem to understand that Tom cannot bring himself to talk to someone about his problems. He finds it highly distressing and anxiety levels go through the roof at the thought of it. It makes him physically sick.

He is having Scandishakes as and when he can to try to get some calories in. Is there anything anyone else has tried ?

Tom is asking me to help him but i just don't know what else i can do. I have tried the doctors, i make high calorie snacks, make small portions of food for him, have made a 'snack box' up for him. . . . . . .

Are there any appetite enhancers that he could try ??

. . . . . . not sure how much longer his body can keep going like this ! or his mental health. He already says he doesn't want to live. .  .

Any support would be sooooo much appreciated.

Thank you

Parents
  • I suppose if I were in his shoes I would consider joining a gym or booking with a PT to build some confidence. 24 hour gyms are great for starting exercise at quiet times too. A great way to improve wellbeing. I had a client once that told me she would do press ups at home every time she felt she was having a panic attack or feelings of anxiety, I thought it was a great idea. 

• I suppose if I were in his shoes I would consider joining a gym or booking with a PT to build some confidence. 24 hour gyms are great for starting exercise at quiet times too. A great way to improve wellbeing. I had a client once that told me she would do press ups at home every time she felt she was having a panic attack or feelings of anxiety, I thought it was a great idea. 

Children
No Data