Newbie! Diagnosis question?

Hi,

My son 7 year old son has just been diagnosed to be on the spectrum, I'm completely new to all this.  I was expecting them to tell me what 'type' he has, but they said they no longer do this, it's just classed as having ASC?  Is this true, or do I need to go privately to have a more detailed diagnosis? I'm pretty convinced he has Asperger and I think it would be helpful to know this.... but I might be just wrong or naive?

Any help, gratefully received.  Thank you. 

Parents
  • From the info by the NAS that I've read (search for Diagnostic Criteria on the NAS website), I think either the ICD-10 or DSM-5 are used to diagnose autism and the ICD-10 is still using old labels - however the next edition is expected to catch up to what the DSM-5 is doing.  Some private assessments may use the DSM -5.  There are still many books and resources out there that refer to Asperger's if you think they would help though.

• Fab, thank you - I really need to do some more reading, as I haven't got a clue about ICD-10 and DSM-5!!  I just got given a very basic leaflet!! 

Reply Children
No Data