Newbie! Diagnosis question?

Hi,

My son 7 year old son has just been diagnosed to be on the spectrum, I'm completely new to all this.  I was expecting them to tell me what 'type' he has, but they said they no longer do this, it's just classed as having ASC?  Is this true, or do I need to go privately to have a more detailed diagnosis? I'm pretty convinced he has Asperger and I think it would be helpful to know this.... but I might be just wrong or naive?

Any help, gratefully received.  Thank you. 

Parents
  • Hi Happy

May I ask what you're actually looking for - a technical explanation of a diagnosis or a practical explanation about what's likely to be going on inside him and why he does things?

If it's the latter, let us know what behaviours you're interested in and we can try to give you pointers to make his life easier and less stressful.

• Hi Happy

May I ask what you're actually looking for - a technical explanation of a diagnosis or a practical explanation about what's likely to be going on inside him and why he does things?

If it's the latter, let us know what behaviours you're interested in and we can try to give you pointers to make his life easier and less stressful.

Children
  • Hi,

Thank you Slight smile  I looking for both really, as I wanted to explain to him (when he's ready) I think he would really like having a more defined definition.  He loves information, and I think that when he's older, he will want to have a 'label' as such, something that is more relatable to him.  When I researched Asperger, it just ticked all the boxes that he has, but I don't want to start suggesting something that isn't right.  Maybe selfishly it would help me too, as it gives me a better understanding too.  (if that makes sense!).  I've known for a long time that he was autistic, but it's taken such a long time to get the diagnosis.  

He's such an intelligent boy, that can show huge amounts of empathy at times, who can talk with confidence etc etc, but then will have so many meltdowns, become intensely angry when rules are broken, change in play happens, someone changes the structure to list a few.  He is always having emotional overload, whether it's good or bad.  I think I was doubting whether he would get a diagnosis or whether they would just think he was hard work and naughty and I was just making matters worse by being too soft on him!  It was a big relief when the lady said it was very apparent that he was on the spectrum.  It means that I can also have confidence to know that I've been caring for him in the right way, and that people close to me won't now think I'm being too lenient.  A more detailed diagnosis, would help my immediate family understand more, and back me up better too. 

Sorry, I've gone off on another tangent now!