Chewing non-food items

Hi all,

my 4 years old soon to be 5 daughter is ASD has sensory integration disorder, she likes to chew on non food items like play dough, glue stick, pen, plastics etc. She is non- verbal. 

We have tried massage her mouth using brush, vibrating brush etc but it’s not improving.

Any strategies will be much appreciated!

Thanks

Jenny 

Parents
  • I remember when I was young having lavendar water put onto things to stop me chewing and sucking them.  It tasted awful but still didn't stop me.

I still chew bits of cloth, string, pen tops,,spoons, bits of phone or electric cable (not attached I may add!)my hair (which is now long enough to chew again because of lockdowns), my fingernails, and will play my recorder without realising what I am doing.

I am now on my pensíon so nothing has worked yet!  My only suggestion would be to keep anything that might be dangerous if swallowed, such as small items out of reach, and obviously anything that might be poisonous such as plants as well as tablets. 

A diversionary tactic might be to give your daughter bits of raw carrot or raw cabbage stalk for example which due to their fibrous nature might keep her occupied for some time and provide some nutrition at the same time.

• I remember when I was young having lavendar water put onto things to stop me chewing and sucking them.  It tasted awful but still didn't stop me.

I still chew bits of cloth, string, pen tops,,spoons, bits of phone or electric cable (not attached I may add!)my hair (which is now long enough to chew again because of lockdowns), my fingernails, and will play my recorder without realising what I am doing.

I am now on my pensíon so nothing has worked yet!  My only suggestion would be to keep anything that might be dangerous if swallowed, such as small items out of reach, and obviously anything that might be poisonous such as plants as well as tablets. 

A diversionary tactic might be to give your daughter bits of raw carrot or raw cabbage stalk for example which due to their fibrous nature might keep her occupied for some time and provide some nutrition at the same time.

Children
No Data