Toilet regression

Hi all,

I'm sorry if my first post is a cry for help.

Our five year old son was toilet trained around 2. This year he has started weeing and pooing himself on a regular basis. Normally getting him to clean up after is difficult too - he would sit in it for hours if left to his own devices. As you can imagine the smell is appalling, not to mention the hygiene concerns.

We think it is down to stress as he used to be so good. There have been times when I've asked if he needs the toilet only to get "no" followed by a pee in the time it takes to get shoes and coat on.

The problem appears to be getting worse. 

Thanks

Parents
  • I'm sorry to hear about your struggle. It can have such an impact on your child's mental well-being and confidence, and certainly on your mental health as well!

Have you looked at the ERIC website (The Children's Bowel & Bladder Charity)? It could be that your son is actually suffering from constipation (yes, even while having poo accidents!) which is effecting both his ability to control his bladder and bowel. Our 7 year old son is being treated for this now, having been toilet trained at 3.5 and having started having soiling in his pants at age 6. I would highly recommend having a good look at that website as there is a lot of helpful information on managing the wee & poo accidents - you're not alone! They also have a free helpline which is extremely useful.

I hope you get some help! It's not an easy thing to go through, that's for sure!

• I'm sorry to hear about your struggle. It can have such an impact on your child's mental well-being and confidence, and certainly on your mental health as well!

Have you looked at the ERIC website (The Children's Bowel & Bladder Charity)? It could be that your son is actually suffering from constipation (yes, even while having poo accidents!) which is effecting both his ability to control his bladder and bowel. Our 7 year old son is being treated for this now, having been toilet trained at 3.5 and having started having soiling in his pants at age 6. I would highly recommend having a good look at that website as there is a lot of helpful information on managing the wee & poo accidents - you're not alone! They also have a free helpline which is extremely useful.

I hope you get some help! It's not an easy thing to go through, that's for sure!

Children
No Data