Private assessment and diagnosis advice

Hi all

I am looking for advice, as to having my 12 year old daughter assessed and diagnosed to see if she is on the autism spectrum.

We are based in the West Midlands.

We do not want to wait for the NHS, and therefore are looking for any recommendations for a private assessment?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated....

M

Parents
  • Whichever service you use, make sure that any diagnosis report they provide will be accepted by the NHS and by schools etc. - some aren't!

Good luck.

• Hi Plastic

thanks for the swift response.

I presumed if a provider offered assessment and diagnosis that would have  been accepted by all parties.

Thank you so much for the info.

For the report to be accepted, is it dependent upon the relevant qualifications of the report provider or is there something other specific I need to be aware of?

many thanks 

M

• Just ask lots of questions before you hand over any cash - I have heard of some clinics doing a basic assessment that people mistake for a full diagnosis - and it gets rejected whenever they ask for support so it costs them a lot of valuable time having to go around the loop again.

You might need to speak to all parties involved (school, mental health team, NHS etc) for recommendation for the right people to use in your area.

• You need to make sure that person carrying out the autism assessment is overseen by someone that works for and associated with the National Health Service. It's also worthwhile to be on the waiting list for non private assessment while also seeking private assessment.

It's also a good idea if you suspect your child has any comorbid conditions like sensory processing disorder or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder or specific learning disabilities to look for assessment for those separately as some NHS and Private autism diagnostic services do not assess them all together. it really depends on the qualification the professional carrying out assessments. 

It is recommended that if you seeking the Diagnosis to get extra support at school and other education funding or benefits that you contact your local authority to see if they accept private assessment as evidence. Some local authorities in East Anglia still do not accept private diagnosis as evidence and will withhold financial aid and support until an NHS Diagnosis is provided. I know about this one personally and looking into previous discussion about the same subject on the community page i am not the only one have this problem.

You ideally need to ask and look into the qualification and their position of the profession diagnosing your child with autism. A basic statement is basically a document that state the professional believes that your child has autism but does not clearly state the diagnosis statement of the document of evidence. The diagnosis statement can vary depending on organisation. it could be a written document in the form of letter with written statements supporting evidence on the professional decisions for diagnosing the individual with autism usually multiple pages.                      

• You need to make sure that person carrying out the autism assessment is overseen by someone that works for and associated with the National Health Service. It's also worthwhile to be on the waiting list for non private assessment while also seeking private assessment.

It's also a good idea if you suspect your child has any comorbid conditions like sensory processing disorder or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder or specific learning disabilities to look for assessment for those separately as some NHS and Private autism diagnostic services do not assess them all together. it really depends on the qualification the professional carrying out assessments. 

It is recommended that if you seeking the Diagnosis to get extra support at school and other education funding or benefits that you contact your local authority to see if they accept private assessment as evidence. Some local authorities in East Anglia still do not accept private diagnosis as evidence and will withhold financial aid and support until an NHS Diagnosis is provided. I know about this one personally and looking into previous discussion about the same subject on the community page i am not the only one have this problem.

You ideally need to ask and look into the qualification and their position of the profession diagnosing your child with autism. A basic statement is basically a document that state the professional believes that your child has autism but does not clearly state the diagnosis statement of the document of evidence. The diagnosis statement can vary depending on organisation. it could be a written document in the form of letter with written statements supporting evidence on the professional decisions for diagnosing the individual with autism usually multiple pages.                      

Children
No Data