Private assessment and diagnosis advice

Hi all

I am looking for advice, as to having my 12 year old daughter assessed and diagnosed to see if she is on the autism spectrum.

We are based in the West Midlands.

We do not want to wait for the NHS, and therefore are looking for any recommendations for a private assessment?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated....

M

Parents
  • Hi....we live in Northamptonshire and paid privately for our 9 year old girl to be assessed. We were getting nowhere with school (masking at school) or GP (she wasn’t at a “self harming stage to warrant referral!!!). Thank goodness we met Dr Jo Jones & Dr Chris Morrell. They are based in Leamington Spa, Warwickshire and can be contacted via  doctorjojones@healthcare4kids.co.uk

Website is http://www.healthcare4kids.co.uk 

it was worth every penny x x 

• Hi Gem&Stu,

Thank you so much for posting this link to the website. This is exactly what I've been looking for. I fear I'm going to have to bypass the NHS and to have a positive recommendation is so helpful.

Thanks again Slight smile

• Hi all

Just an update on where we are at with our daughter (I will refer to her as B)

It’s been an eye opening, emotional two months to say the least.

Following my original post, the first bit of good news was that she was offered a position at a new school.

No thanks or help from her old school, it was simply that she had been on the top of a waiting list for two years and a place became available.

The final conversation I had with the head of year was summed up by his comment that “they had fulfilled their obligation”..... which from what I had already heard meant they were glad to see the back of B.

The new school started great, very attentive teachers and I had conversations with the head of year and their Senco officer to explain what we were doing in relation to our daughter being assessed.

On the advice of the Senco officer, we arranged an appointment with a speech and language therapist.

She also indicated that unless their assessment came back indicating the need for an Autism assessment then don’t waste your time and money??

She has now had her first initial assessment, albeit remotely.

Next step is that intend to visit B at school in the coming weeks to do an assessment on-site.

They advised we take B for an eye test.

The opticians report stated B had perfect vision, however she does identify some letter in other forms, and we should not rule out a test for Dyslexia.

We were not too surprised by this, as B has been using blue overlays for some time now.

We forwarded the report to the Senco and her speech therapist for their files.

The Senco stated they were not concerned. B has settled in well, nothing but positive feedback from all her teachers and they would monitor the situation on a weekly basis.

That is where we are currently with regards reports and assessments.

However we are more concerned about her mental state now.

Obviously B has had numerous meeting with new people and she realises that she may be a little different.

Using the blue over lays at school, children have called her disabled and other hurtful comments.

We have already dealt with one incident of bullying.

However she has managed make a few friends now, which is really positive.

However, she seems to be happy to talk about her day and loves to do her homework after school.

But we are now experiencing regular upsets on an evening when she is on her own in her bedroom.

Tears upon tears, she talks about the nasty comments that are said to her.

She hates her appearance, stating she’s fat and ugly.

More worrying is that she has come out with comments such as

“When I close my eyes all I can hear repeatedly is the nasty words people have been calling me at school”

“I’m not going to kill myself as it would upset you too much” !?!?!

“I know you love me, but my head keeps telling me you don’t”

One hour later she can be laughing and joking downstairs like nothings been said?

So as a father I’m am emotionally distraught at hearing such things.

I’m not sure what to do first, does she need to see a psychiatrist?

I’ve been waiting for a Camhs appointment on the NHS for four months now, so ruling that out as an option.

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated....

M

• Hi all

Just an update on where we are at with our daughter (I will refer to her as B)

It’s been an eye opening, emotional two months to say the least.

Following my original post, the first bit of good news was that she was offered a position at a new school.

No thanks or help from her old school, it was simply that she had been on the top of a waiting list for two years and a place became available.

The final conversation I had with the head of year was summed up by his comment that “they had fulfilled their obligation”..... which from what I had already heard meant they were glad to see the back of B.

The new school started great, very attentive teachers and I had conversations with the head of year and their Senco officer to explain what we were doing in relation to our daughter being assessed.

On the advice of the Senco officer, we arranged an appointment with a speech and language therapist.

She also indicated that unless their assessment came back indicating the need for an Autism assessment then don’t waste your time and money??

She has now had her first initial assessment, albeit remotely.

Next step is that intend to visit B at school in the coming weeks to do an assessment on-site.

They advised we take B for an eye test.

The opticians report stated B had perfect vision, however she does identify some letter in other forms, and we should not rule out a test for Dyslexia.

We were not too surprised by this, as B has been using blue overlays for some time now.

We forwarded the report to the Senco and her speech therapist for their files.

The Senco stated they were not concerned. B has settled in well, nothing but positive feedback from all her teachers and they would monitor the situation on a weekly basis.

That is where we are currently with regards reports and assessments.

However we are more concerned about her mental state now.

Obviously B has had numerous meeting with new people and she realises that she may be a little different.

Using the blue over lays at school, children have called her disabled and other hurtful comments.

We have already dealt with one incident of bullying.

However she has managed make a few friends now, which is really positive.

However, she seems to be happy to talk about her day and loves to do her homework after school.

But we are now experiencing regular upsets on an evening when she is on her own in her bedroom.

Tears upon tears, she talks about the nasty comments that are said to her.

She hates her appearance, stating she’s fat and ugly.

More worrying is that she has come out with comments such as

“When I close my eyes all I can hear repeatedly is the nasty words people have been calling me at school”

“I’m not going to kill myself as it would upset you too much” !?!?!

“I know you love me, but my head keeps telling me you don’t”

One hour later she can be laughing and joking downstairs like nothings been said?

So as a father I’m am emotionally distraught at hearing such things.

I’m not sure what to do first, does she need to see a psychiatrist?

I’ve been waiting for a Camhs appointment on the NHS for four months now, so ruling that out as an option.

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated....

M

Children
No Data