Autistic toddler (undiagnosed) doesn't like baby brother

Hi all

I have a 22 month old girl who is showing many early symptoms of ASD. She is on the autism pathway and awaiting an appointment with the Community Paediatric Team. 

I also have a 7 month old baby boy. My daughter showed no/very little interest in him from when he was born. He is now crawling and trying to interact with her. She does not like this at all - sometimes she just removes herself but sometimes she gets upset and takes our hand and leads us to him so that we can move him.

Does anyone have any experience in this area or have any tips that can help her get used to him/bond with him. He adores her and is just desperate to play! 

Thanks Blush

Parents
  • Does anyone have a response to this? My 33

month old is doing exactly this… who we are in the process of getting her possibly diagnosed? Any advice please.:: she’s so clingy to me and she cries for me to remove the baby which is impossible on days we’re alone… especially since she’s clingy with me.

• I don't think there is an answer other than get more practical help to give both your kids enough attention and wait for them to get a bit older. But in the meantime if someone could take one of them off your hand for a few hours, so you can give the other attention...and occasionally take both while you grab a nap...

Your daughter might be very anxious because the baby is upsetting her senses...well babies are noisy, smelly and sticky, to be fair, and she may not know how to handle being around this squawky intruder.

Hopefully, once they are old enough to play independently,  things might improve.

• I don't think there is an answer other than get more practical help to give both your kids enough attention and wait for them to get a bit older. But in the meantime if someone could take one of them off your hand for a few hours, so you can give the other attention...and occasionally take both while you grab a nap...

Your daughter might be very anxious because the baby is upsetting her senses...well babies are noisy, smelly and sticky, to be fair, and she may not know how to handle being around this squawky intruder.

Hopefully, once they are old enough to play independently,  things might improve.

Children
No Data