Severe sensory issue

I’m a father of a 16 year old high functioning autistic girl. I’m seeking advice on how to handle a particular sensory issue that is getting out of control.

Four years ago, she developed a sensory issue towards her brother. She cannot bear hearing his voice (covers her ears with her hands) and seems to be in pain just hearing his voice. She told me he sounded like a boy in her class that she couldn’t stand his voice. ABA therapy didn’t help and now she does not talk to him for 4 years.

Two years ago, same thing happened with her teacher, then last year with her piano teacher and he had to quit. After that, it happens with me but only on certain things I ask of her, variable things and completely unpredictable. For example, I would ask her give me your phone and she just covers her ears and seemingly in pain and would react in a verbal or physical aggression if I try to talk to her at that moment.

Her neurologist does not know what this is except to say she has sensory issues among other things.

Anyone heard of similar behavior or could guide me to the right place? I live in California.

Thank you,

Parents
  • Sadly use of ABA therapy and other enforced masking often results in lasting trauma. My first thought is something is triggering traumas, and lowering tolerance to particular sounds/inputs. Also possible she is confused by her own emotional response, which could itself cause a form of 'sensory overload' as processing internal reactions can be as overwhelming as external inputs

• Sadly use of ABA therapy and other enforced masking often results in lasting trauma. My first thought is something is triggering traumas, and lowering tolerance to particular sounds/inputs. Also possible she is confused by her own emotional response, which could itself cause a form of 'sensory overload' as processing internal reactions can be as overwhelming as external inputs

Children
No Data