Help/advice please 14 year old boy, has Aspergers, but OCD getting worse

My son has Asperrgers, he is doing well at school to the point that he is in now on his 3rd year at a gramar school after spending years in a 'Special Needs' school.

He has problems problems sleeping, no matter what time he goes to bed, he is still getting up and going to the toilet until well after 1am. (He doesn't have problems going to the toilet, he just seems to keep himself awake.

This of course is causing problems at school because he is increasingly tired.

The other major problem is that he has OCD habbits. He won't touch door handles, pens, pencils, books, sit at a desk, walk on certain carpets. As you can imagine this makes school life so difficult for him and so frustrating for everyone. He is now missing lessons becasue he is found outside classrooms waiting for a door to be opened.

We supplied him with latex gloves to use in science lessons because now his exam results rely on practicle and he is just not taking part because he won't touch anything.

The doctor is useless, I should say doctor's are useless. We live in Lincolnshire which has the attitude that they will ONLY diagnose (Autisum/Aspergers) but then you are on your own.

The school is fantastic, but there is only so much they can do.

I am open to any advice what we can do to help or get over these problems as this is going to stop a bright extremely clever child failing at everything.

Thanks

Parents
  • Thank you for your replies,

I think my only option is really to push the doctor.

I said the doctors are useless, they just diagnose, actually I meant to say its the services like CAMHS that won't assist. A few years ago, we had quite a bit of trouble with violent outburst, the doctor referred us to CAMHS and they refused to help. This happened an amazing 4 times over a period of a few years even though we had support from the school and recommendation from our GP. Each time they said we should seek help from voluntary services!

We feel like we are on our own, although his school is very supportive and have excellent special needs support.

Never mind we will try again.

Thank you again for the replies.

• Thank you for your replies,

I think my only option is really to push the doctor.

I said the doctors are useless, they just diagnose, actually I meant to say its the services like CAMHS that won't assist. A few years ago, we had quite a bit of trouble with violent outburst, the doctor referred us to CAMHS and they refused to help. This happened an amazing 4 times over a period of a few years even though we had support from the school and recommendation from our GP. Each time they said we should seek help from voluntary services!

We feel like we are on our own, although his school is very supportive and have excellent special needs support.

Never mind we will try again.

Thank you again for the replies.

Children