Help/advice please 14 year old boy, has Aspergers, but OCD getting worse

My son has Asperrgers, he is doing well at school to the point that he is in now on his 3rd year at a gramar school after spending years in a 'Special Needs' school.

He has problems problems sleeping, no matter what time he goes to bed, he is still getting up and going to the toilet until well after 1am. (He doesn't have problems going to the toilet, he just seems to keep himself awake.

This of course is causing problems at school because he is increasingly tired.

The other major problem is that he has OCD habbits. He won't touch door handles, pens, pencils, books, sit at a desk, walk on certain carpets. As you can imagine this makes school life so difficult for him and so frustrating for everyone. He is now missing lessons becasue he is found outside classrooms waiting for a door to be opened.

We supplied him with latex gloves to use in science lessons because now his exam results rely on practicle and he is just not taking part because he won't touch anything.

The doctor is useless, I should say doctor's are useless. We live in Lincolnshire which has the attitude that they will ONLY diagnose (Autisum/Aspergers) but then you are on your own.

The school is fantastic, but there is only so much they can do.

I am open to any advice what we can do to help or get over these problems as this is going to stop a bright extremely clever child failing at everything.

Thanks

Parents
  • Hello,

Sounds like a tough time for you and your son.  Have you spoke with the paediatrician about sleeping issues ? I totally agree it’s not fair for him to be shattered everyday, my daughter  cannot sleep on a school night.  In the holidays and on weekends all is fine, she has been prescribed Circadin by the paediatrician and it does help. Someone I know uses Phenegan to help sleep this can be bought over the counter.but I don’t know about side effects etc. Might be worth some research.  

Duckbread mentioned CAMHS to help with OCD traits, I know on the website you can self refer but as always it’s a huge waiting list.  Pester everyone, the paediatrician, the doctor and CAHMS.  Can’t your son’s class teachers just check where he is and let him in or leave the door open at the start of each lesson ? can he use a laptop instead of pens ? It’s not a big ask, make a list and go back to the SENCO with it.    I hope this is of some help, I am a struggling parent and I understand how hard it is. you can get the extra support,

• Hello,

Sounds like a tough time for you and your son.  Have you spoke with the paediatrician about sleeping issues ? I totally agree it’s not fair for him to be shattered everyday, my daughter  cannot sleep on a school night.  In the holidays and on weekends all is fine, she has been prescribed Circadin by the paediatrician and it does help. Someone I know uses Phenegan to help sleep this can be bought over the counter.but I don’t know about side effects etc. Might be worth some research.  

Duckbread mentioned CAMHS to help with OCD traits, I know on the website you can self refer but as always it’s a huge waiting list.  Pester everyone, the paediatrician, the doctor and CAHMS.  Can’t your son’s class teachers just check where he is and let him in or leave the door open at the start of each lesson ? can he use a laptop instead of pens ? It’s not a big ask, make a list and go back to the SENCO with it.    I hope this is of some help, I am a struggling parent and I understand how hard it is. you can get the extra support,

Children
No Data