Autism and dyslexia

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. My son is in year 4 in mainstream education.  He was diagnosed with sever dyslexia in year 3, and has now received an ASD diagnosis.  Please, if any one can relate to this as a parent, or person similar to my son, I would appreciate you're insight.  

Parents
  • Hi

My dyslexic son is in year 5.

I believe he has ASD too like his older brother.

It’s difficult to separate sometimes what behaviour is caused by dyslexia and what could be ASD e.g slower processing in conversations leading to him often getting it wrong and misinterpreting people’s intentions.

He was assessed by an Ed psych at age 7. He is being reassessed next month and I’m hoping we will find out a bit more.

• Hi

My dyslexic son is in year 5.

I believe he has ASD too like his older brother.

It’s difficult to separate sometimes what behaviour is caused by dyslexia and what could be ASD e.g slower processing in conversations leading to him often getting it wrong and misinterpreting people’s intentions.

He was assessed by an Ed psych at age 7. He is being reassessed next month and I’m hoping we will find out a bit more.

Children
  • Hi,

Thank you for this.  I sometimes feel my son's severe dyslexia has led to poor levels of self worth, and anxiety about school, and being judged.  Yet, as you say, it's difficult to separate dyslexia and ASD.  His ASD symptoms have got really apparent over the last 6 months.

I'm coming to terms with his ASD diagnosis, but am fearful for his future.  School seem very aware of autism, and of dyslexia, but not combined.  I also think their awareness does not always equal understanding.

Thank you so much for replying, and I do hope you get answers next month.