Looking for support

Hi

im new to this forum, I’m looking for support in living with / supporting my 7 year old son.

the whole family is suffering (myself 11 year old daughter and husband and 7 year old son).

the constant refusal to do anything from brushing teeth to getting dressed is incredibly wearing, the temper tantrums and constant pestering of his sister are all taking it’s toll on everyone.

i feel so burnt out and exhausted, I’m in therapy and it was suggested that talking to those also going through this may help?

Any advice would be so appreciated.

x

Parents
  • Hello, I’m not the parent of an autistic child, so I can’t give you first hand advice, but NAS does offer a parent to parent service which you can find here. The NAS helpline can be found here.

I would suggest that you try to join a local group of parents with autistic children. It is always good to talk to other people who have similar experiences and share knowledge. You should be able to find out what groups there are via your local or county council web site.

It may also be a good idea to keep a diary to try and identify what sensory experiences he has problems with. Some people adopt a sensory diet and try to limit incoming information. Things like noise-cancelling headphones can be quite helpful.

This blog is by a mother of an autistic child, she’s been writing it for 6 years now so it may be worth a look. http://flappinessis.com/

I wish you all the best, Graham.

• Hello, I’m not the parent of an autistic child, so I can’t give you first hand advice, but NAS does offer a parent to parent service which you can find here. The NAS helpline can be found here.

I would suggest that you try to join a local group of parents with autistic children. It is always good to talk to other people who have similar experiences and share knowledge. You should be able to find out what groups there are via your local or county council web site.

It may also be a good idea to keep a diary to try and identify what sensory experiences he has problems with. Some people adopt a sensory diet and try to limit incoming information. Things like noise-cancelling headphones can be quite helpful.

This blog is by a mother of an autistic child, she’s been writing it for 6 years now so it may be worth a look. http://flappinessis.com/

I wish you all the best, Graham.

Children