Nearly 4 year old

Hi guys 

Just looking for some advice really,  I have a nearly 4 year old I have been to doctors and he has agreed my son is showing some markers for autism but wants to see how he copes with first year at school  before sending him for assessment. 

My son loves washing machines and has done since 10 months old,  it's the rotation,  his favourite place to go go is washing machine shop as he calls it.

He has his little quirks bless him,  he likes routine,  likes balloons but if door is open he'll have a breakdown as his scared itll blow away,  will sit under table or put blanket over his head if social activities are too much with his childminder,  he will rotate his hands when excited and he he'll tap his index finger and thumb together,  he didn't walk until he was 19 months,  his very sociable with people he knows,  he talks well and knows how to count to 20,  knows his colours and animals loves being read too and is very loving.

His just started nursery and he has a breakdown when we leave it it makes me feel terrible, I've asked him why he doesnt like it and he has said it's too noisy and too loud.

I have feeling he is on autism spectrum but I'm not sure where to start with it all,  should I go back to doctors or see how he copes at school for few more weeks?  I'm considering home schooling if he cant cope at school,  do any of you guys do this? 

Thanks 

Parents
  • First of all doctors knowing that he has all signs of autism why do they want to wait for assessment? What do they mean by saying they want to see how he COPES??

Do not believe a word these ppl say. I tell you from my personal experience. Its all about funding. School gets budget to spend on your child and its very limited. So they play these games. 

I was in exact situation and got scared thinking how will my child survive without my help. He too had many fears of sound, noise, changes. My son is on quite side so he keeps all within no tantrums no massive meltdowns so everyone finds him MANAGEBLE. only I know what poor soul is going through. 

I found out when he was 3.5 that he has autism. But nobody used the word because he didn't had assessment. I put down his name and our turn was meant to be sometime in new year which means he would start school without extra help. He was getting 1-1 support at nursery. I fought with the local authorities, amaze helped me alot. I got his assessment pushed forward before school opens and even after the result came he had ASD. The local authority rejected EHCP plan. I went through mediation and threatened to ho to tribunal and they finally gave Ehcp plan day before he was starting school.

He was given part time support, daily speech and language therapy activities, other goals school has to meet end of the year. 

I am sure you are amazing mother and would do great job at home schooling but resources and different activities school will do you might not be able to do all that at home. He did really well at school academically and did make few friends. But he is still far behind socially in terms of how to be around friends and play etc.

Assessments waiting list is usually long so better to put down the name specially if u know he has. Why not get all the help he needs when  you are not around.

Hope it helps 

• First of all doctors knowing that he has all signs of autism why do they want to wait for assessment? What do they mean by saying they want to see how he COPES??

Do not believe a word these ppl say. I tell you from my personal experience. Its all about funding. School gets budget to spend on your child and its very limited. So they play these games. 

I was in exact situation and got scared thinking how will my child survive without my help. He too had many fears of sound, noise, changes. My son is on quite side so he keeps all within no tantrums no massive meltdowns so everyone finds him MANAGEBLE. only I know what poor soul is going through. 

I found out when he was 3.5 that he has autism. But nobody used the word because he didn't had assessment. I put down his name and our turn was meant to be sometime in new year which means he would start school without extra help. He was getting 1-1 support at nursery. I fought with the local authorities, amaze helped me alot. I got his assessment pushed forward before school opens and even after the result came he had ASD. The local authority rejected EHCP plan. I went through mediation and threatened to ho to tribunal and they finally gave Ehcp plan day before he was starting school.

He was given part time support, daily speech and language therapy activities, other goals school has to meet end of the year. 

I am sure you are amazing mother and would do great job at home schooling but resources and different activities school will do you might not be able to do all that at home. He did really well at school academically and did make few friends. But he is still far behind socially in terms of how to be around friends and play etc.

Assessments waiting list is usually long so better to put down the name specially if u know he has. Why not get all the help he needs when  you are not around.

Hope it helps 

Children
No Data